Thread: How to install ./configure

Beans

How to install ./configure

I am posting in Ubuntu although I have a problem using ./configure for *.bz2 files etc . Mint - this OS seems to be based on the same principles, perhaps and my hope is that someone will have a solution in either forum, or that there is none. For example I want to update quicktime in firefox but I can't get sudo aptitude install * to work in a terminal, although this worked for firefox. I downloaded the *.bz2 file but ./configure is not recognized. Is there a way to add this function?
    Last edited by Perfect Storm; April 5th, 2013 at 05:06 AM. Reason: added prefix

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: How to install ./configure

Assuming there is a ./configure file present, you need to unzip the bz2 file to its own directory and navigate to the directory with the command line before trying to run ./configure from the command line.

Have a look fore a "readme" file in the bz2 archive: it should have the necessary information in it.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If you want to compile stuff then make sure you install the build-essential package first.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Moved to Other OS/Distro Support.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Do you have a link to the bz2 file you downloaded?

Beans

First and foremost you have to have everything required for the packages you are trying to compile first. Secondly you need to unzip it and cd to the directory containing the ./configure file before running it. Then hopefully it goes smoothly. There is usually a readme file contained within that gives detailed instructions.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.