Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Driver for Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS

Beans

Re: Driver for Nvidia GeForce 8300 GS

I just tested and it didn't work. These version do not support Xorg server version 1.12 found in Debian wheezy and Ubuntu precise.
    Andres Cimmarusti

Debian testing amd64 xfce

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by acimmarusti View Post
    I just tested and it didn't work. These version do not support Xorg server version 1.12 found in Debian wheezy and Ubuntu precise.
    As you can see this is not just a Nvidia driver and card issue. Xorg was updated and the driver is not compatible with Xorg. For a while Nvidia didn't even know what to do. In the end I believe they have not revised any of the older drivers to support the Latest x-server. The choices appear to be use an earlier version of the OS or get a later Nvida video card. I have this same issue on one of my machines, so I have just not used it for the time being. Hopefully the open source drivers will work someday. There are other things that can go wrong. I have one host that has no TTY's (F1 -F6) so I have no console. The PTTY terminal does work of course, but it's of no use if you have a black screen staring back at you.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I am happy to go back to Ubuntu 12.4 but I don't know how to do that in terminal.

Beans
    Distro

Results of update.

Beans

Unfortunately, you can't do a downgrade. You would have to do a fresh install of 12.04 from a live cd. If you do that, when installing don't let it automatically download updates, just install what's on the cd. Then after you reboot into your installed os, open synaptic and find "xserver-xorg-core" and "xserver-xorg-common" and version-lock them (since newer versions of them seem to be causing problems). Then you can update and later install an older Nvidia driver such as what acimmarusti posted. This is just a suggestion, maybe somebody else has a better idea.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Crossbow View Post
    Results of update.
    The image shows a temporary DNS failure. The repos are available. This has nothing to do with the topic of this thread.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mansonfan78 View Post
    Unfortunately, you can't do a downgrade. You would have to do a fresh install of 12.04 from a live cd. If you do that, when installing don't let it automatically download updates, just install what's on the cd. Then after you reboot into your installed os, open synaptic and find "xserver-xorg-core" and "xserver-xorg-common" and version-lock them (since newer versions of them seem to be causing problems). Then you can update and later install an older Nvidia driver such as what acimmarusti posted. This is just a suggestion, maybe somebody else has a better idea.
    It's a little more complex than that. The latest download of 12.04 Ubuntu is 12.04.4. The updates are allready in the download. If you could get copy of 12.04.2 then one might have some success. I'm running 12.04.2 with some success.
    Code:
    OpenGL vendor string:   NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce 7300 SE/7200 GS/PCIe/SSE2
    OpenGL version string:  2.1.2 NVIDIA 304.48

Not software rendered:    yes
    Not blacklisted:          no
    GLX fbconfig:             yes
    GLX texture from pixmap:  yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program:        yes
    GL fragment program:      yes
    GL vertex buffer object:  yes
    GL framebuffer object:    yes
    GL version is 1.4+:       yes

Unity 3D supported:       no
    The choice of which X-server is up to the distro developers. I believe Xubuntu 12.04 and Lubuntu 12.04 both use the earlier version of X-server. Debian Squeeze also uses Gnome2. You can let them update normally as their standard package is the earlier X version. Of course, if you install a package the uses Gnome GTK3 dependencies you will have the same situation as we have now Ubuntu 12.04/12.10/13.04.

This is where I stand. I know that Nvidia is not willing to accommodate an older video card, but I will wait to see how stable the newer drivers are with Gnome/Unity before I buy a newer video card for 12.05 Ubuntu and beyond. At least my combination of video card/Linux distro/Nividia driver works for Gnome3. I just have no TTY's (consoles f1 - f6) or 3D.
    -BAB1

Beans
    Distro

Uh... since I don't have a GUI and can't connect to the internet through root, burning an install disc isn't an option. Until I fix whatever is going on in that image, I am at a standstill.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234