Thread: ubuntu or linux on iBook G4?

Beans

ubuntu or linux on iBook G4?

hello world from the north i have over the years aquiered several old macbooks that i hope to resurect/ swich over to linux, the most promising of them is an old ibook g4 A154 with PPC processor @ 1064 Mhz and 512 MB ram with a 40 GB HDD and slot loading drive, now i just need the right distro and version and how to instructions that i find the ubuntu forums are oh so good at providing to keep us out of the hands of apple and microsoft.

Cheers and thanks!

P.S. anything that is close enough to the ubuntu desktop that one might install on a PC nowdays using the ubuntu environment would be fine, not to say that i couldent use something else though, just my personal preference.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: ubuntu or linux on iBook G4? HELP PLEASE

Try Lubuntu 12.10 PPC. Burn a bootable CD of it, insert the CD, and hold down "c" while it boots up. You should get a boot menu, from which you can boot from the CD. The installer will step you through it from there.
    I'm working at putting it on my PowerMac G5- I'm having some graphics issues, but I'll work through them in time.
    If you run into any problems, do post back.
    Good luck!

Beans

i allready have a disk of 12.76 but ill download 12.10 and burn it, that's lubuntu right?

Beans

i allready tried 12.76 and it gave me some issues installing but ill try 12.10, i also have a ubuntu 10.04 disk, i tried it on an G3 and it installed just fine but it couldent find the screen or graphics carsd after it tried to bood from the HDD after installing

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

12.76?
    There is no such Ubuntu version.
    Do you mean 12.04?
    10.04 is EOL in a month, I would not use it.

Beans

Re: ubuntu or linux on iBook G4?

hey thanks, so will this distro work with my little G4? ill find out for myself eventually but i was wondering if you had tried it on a similar machine already.

Beans

hey, just looked at the known issues and i think it was 12.10 that i do have a disk for as i got the bug that they*described*in there known issues when installing from that disk. ill try installing again with the fix they described again.