Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sandbox in Ubuntu?

Beans

Sandbox in Ubuntu?

Hello,

I would like to know if it's possible to execute some programs in a "sandbox" a protected space that the program can not escape. That means the program cannot directly interact with the system (leaves no traces outside the sandbox)

Like www.sandboxie.com on Windows. It's really useful

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Sandbox in Ubuntu?

I use virtualbox and an appropriate installed OS to run dubious programs. Take snapshot / run program / revert snapshot / job done.

Beans

Thank you, I thought about it but you have to install a second OS and start it each time. The sandbox is just a layer between the system and the program which filter the commands asked by the program. It's execution is really fast.

But if there are no other ways to do that, I will use VirtualBox.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by dementic View Post
    Thank you, I thought about it but you have to install a second OS and start it each time.
    True, but it doesn't have to be the same as your main OS nor does it have to be started (ie booted) each time - you can not only take a snapshot of a running system at any time but can also save its current state when you exit, restarting exactly where it left off next time you run it. I never reboot any of my VMs.

Beans

Ok, thanks I will give it a try with WinXP

Beans

If you are looking for virtual technologies, OpenVZ or LXC are kinda along the lines of what you are hinting.

Otherwise, Apparmor - which is installed by default in Ubuntu - should be good enough to sandbox an application (prevent it from writing/reading to the system where you don't explicitly allow it to).

Regards
    Iain

Beans

Thank you, I will investigate how to run apparmor properly (it seems pretty complicated)

Beans

If you join #ubuntu-beginners on Freenode IRC and poke me, I could give you a quick rundown of how it all works. As explaining it here would be a bit awkward.

Regards

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Why not create an extra user and run it under that user? That's what Linux is good at.

Beans

There are sandboxes which will run in Linux. That said, I've been out of the Linux/UNIX sysadmin field for some years now, and have no idea what would be the most up-to-date software to run. Last time I ran a sandbox in Linux, I had to compile the source code myself. I would assume there is a quicker, easier way to do it now...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast