Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 13.04 Final beta

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 13.04 Final beta

I used Gnome Shell for a little bit, but after a while I just couldn't stand it anymore. I really hate Gnome Shell now. I can guarantee I will never use it again.
    New Classic Mode introduced in GNOME 3.8 has potential for desktop usage but it will need more love. GS on desktop doesn't cut it i agree. Apps, back-end technology, some parts of GS... this is reusable and non issue. That layer of interaction between user and desktop computer called GS that will need to change drastically.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hmmmm
    Yes...unity does grow on you
    I often try to tell this to the unity haters on the forum but some just won't give it enough time...those who do, often "come around"
    Grows on me like a wart. I used it last night for laptop testing - don't really like it! I admit that 13.04 implementation of Unity on this old laptop is superior to 12.10 - I found that I had to revert to gnome session fallback when using 12.10 to make it tolerable.

I've also tested on HP tower which has plenty of juice to run Unity in all it's resource hogginess - I really like gnome session fall back!
    HP | Intel iCore 7 3.2Ghz | 12 Gb mem | SSD Win7 | HDD Trusty
    Dell laptop | Intel iCore 3 2.1Ghz | 4 Gb mem | Win 7 + Trusty
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

yes, well when i say "enough time" i mean, like about two weeks...
    i am not really finding it to be a resource hog at all...of course, on a very old laptop or computer, perhaps it wouldn't be at it's top form...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I've been playing with is since Feb ... simply don't like Unity
    Last edited by pfeiffep; April 6th, 2013 at 09:54 PM. Reason: clarify
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried out the Beta and it was definitely the best beta experience I've had on ubuntu. A lot of users have been asking for increased stability and fewer bugs and based on my experience it seems like Canonical is finally taking this to heart. This is great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I tried out the Beta and it was definitely the best beta experience I've had on ubuntu. A lot of users have been asking for increased stability and fewer bugs and based on my experience it seems like Canonical is finally taking this to heart. This is great!
    I definitely have a positive experience with daily and beta2....
    I haven't had a long experience with Ubuntu, but have been involved with computing since DOS 3.0
    Regards, Pete

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    yes, well when i say "enough time" i mean, like about two weeks...
    i am not really finding it to be a resource hog at all...of course, on a very old laptop or computer, perhaps it wouldn't be at it's top form...
    I'm amazed how much I've grown to enjoy Unity. It did take a couple weeks. Lately I tried switching back to Mint MATE, and also Cinnamon, and I find them to be boring and just too plain-looking. Unity is about the nicest looking desktop setup I've seen. The other thing is the overall graphics of the fonts and interface in Ubuntu. It may just be a personal perception, but I think real Ubuntu is graphically nicer than the deritives. As far as system resources, Ubuntu 13.04 is using less memory and responding more quickly than either 12.04.2 or 12.10 for me.

Beans

I noticed that launcher icons keep taking on a mind of their own...

I add and removed some after installing then after I next rebooted, they were all back to default except for a terminal icon I added.
    Went through the process of adding and removing to my liking again and although nothing else has vanished, the amazon and one of the ubuntu ones (U1 or music, I forget) keep on coming back again and again.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

So true tdockery97....13.04 has a lot of unity improvements and it is very smooth now and does look great, its is very modern, intuitive and easy to use and i must agree that Ubuntu is graphically nicer then the spin offs....it has such a professional and polished look to it...and it's really the only linux distro that has the potential for "widespread success" (to the non-linux users)...in fact, even alienware is now offering ubuntu computers!
    http://www.alienware.com/ubuntu/
    Last edited by craig10x; April 7th, 2013 at 12:19 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by craig10x View Post
    Ubuntu is graphically nicer then the spin offs....it has such a professional and polished look to it...
    Apart from the top left corner!! Not sure my OCD could cope with another 6 months of that
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast