Thread: Upgrading from Ubuntu 13.04 beta to release?

Beans

Upgrading from Ubuntu 13.04 beta to release?

I am considering installing Ubuntu 13.04 beta 2 in place of my current 12.04 install and testing it out but I have some concerns regarding updating when Ubuntu 13.04 is released. Can I update to the release from the beta or would I need to re-install using the release ISO when its released. I use Ubuntu primary for PHP/Python/Ruby development so I would like to avoid having to re-setup my development environment.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Upgrading from Ubuntu 13.04 beta to release?

No reinstall necessary, you could just continue updating and upgrading and you would be up to date upon release.
    Although 13.04 has been very reliable throughout this testing cycle, it is still Beta, so if you need your system perfectly stable for your development work, i.e. your production install, you might want to reconsider upgrading until final release.
    Things can, and sometimes will go wrong in the development cycle.

Edit: Raring questions should be asked here: http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=427
    Last edited by arpanaut; April 7th, 2013 at 03:10 AM. Reason: added link.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

A lot of ubuntu users here have more than one copy/version of Ubuntu installed on their machines. My suggestion keep Ubuntu 12.04 as it is and INSTALL 13.04 on a separate partition. You can share your /home partition between the two distros (but I don't know the CONS of doing so). I only use "/" and no "/home" instead I have plain Linux partition that I use for my DATA. When you use only "/" then your /home folder will be created in the "/" itself...

This way (Dual-Boot/Multi-Boot) you can be safe with your 12.04 on its own partition and you can try as many versions or for that matter, Distros without risking any DATA loss/corruption.

My two cents...

Let us know if you need any help in this regard.
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

Quote Originally Posted by fantab View Post
    A lot of ubuntu users here have more than one copy/version of Ubuntu installed on their machines. My suggestion keep Ubuntu 12.04 as it is and INSTALL 13.04 on a separate partition. You can share your /home partition between the two distros (but I don't know the CONS of doing so). I only use "/" and no "/home" instead I have plain Linux partition that I use for my DATA. When you use only "/" then your /home folder will be created in the "/" itself...

This way (Dual-Boot/Multi-Boot) you can be safe with your 12.04 on its own partition and you can try as many versions or for that matter, Distros without risking any DATA loss/corruption.

My two cents...

Let us know if you need any help in this regard.
    Perfect advice
    +1
    Ubuntu 18.04

Beans

Thanks all for your replies and advice. I will install 13.04 on a seperate partition just incase something goes wrong. Thanks again!