Thread: Problem with installation on USB-HDD

Threaded View

Beans

Problem with installation on USB-HDD

Hello!
    Recently bougth new USB 3.0 HDD, and want to install Ubuntu on it. Already have experience with installation on "normal" HDD, and some months before installed on USB drive Mint 14, so I expected to be the same procedure with the portable HDD. As far as I read this thread
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1650699
    I saw that the procedure is the same, I used to install Mint on USB flash.
    The only difference is that on flash installation I formated the whole drive and did "clear" install, and now I just shrinked the only partition on the drive, and created ext4 partitions for / and /home, so as swap partition. For installation I used LiveUSB
    On installation the disk had following partitons:
    sdc1 - ntfs - 690 MB
    sdc2 - ext4 - 8 GB - /
    sdc3 - swap - 1GB
    sdc4 - ext4 - 8 GB - /home
    Chose to create boot on sdc - Toshiba USB3.0 750 GB ( the new drive)
    Installation was uneventfull, but when I tried to reboot, black screen with message:
    grub-rescue > No file found
    grub-rescue> _
    Tried again instalation, with location for bootloader: dev/sdc2 with the same result
    I noticed tha in GParted NTFS partition beared the flag "boot" so removed it. On new installation already boot flag was on sdc2 (dont't remember the result), then tried to move the partitions and placed ext4 partitions in the beginning of the disk.
    Finally got working and booting system, but now NTFS partition is not visible in Windows 7. Strange, that the drive is visible in Device manager, but not usable by windows explorer. It is also visible and usable in Windows XP, but not on Win 7
    Finally Formatted the drive and started again. Same result with installing Mint 14
    Could you advise me, what I'm doing in the wrong way? Is there a way to get booting external HDD with accessible under Windows NTFS partition on it?
    I had the same problem with USB flash drive - After Mint installation, the rest of the disk - FAT system was not visible by Win7, but for the small drive it was not a problem just dedicated this partition for Linux
    Last edited by ymilev; April 5th, 2013 at 10:42 PM.