Thread: Virtualbox server not accessable from host

Beans

Question Virtualbox server not accessable from host

I've installed Ubuntu lamp server on a Virtualbox. The host is Ubuntu 12.04. The virtualbox server has access to internet and can ping router and host IP while getting a DHCP IP, although subnet mask is weird.
    host:
    10.0.0.21 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.0.0.2

virtualbox server from dhcp:
    10.0.2.15 255.255.255.0 10.0.0.2

As I said, although the subnet mask is not the same, access and pinging is fine. Network settings are set on NAT.

BUT, when I try to access the lamp server from the host (http://10.0.2.15), I do not get access (it works from within the virtualbox, so setup and config is working).

I tried to change virtualbox server's IP to static (10.0.0.1 255.255.0.0 gateway 10.0.0.2) with NO access to and from nowhere. No router, no host, or the other way round.

Can someone tell me what I should do to get the virtualbox server (10.0.2.15) web accessable from host (10.0.0.21)? I need to configure a web app on the virtualbox server from the host.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Virtualbox server not accessable from host

I recommend to switch network settings to Bridged Adapter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

I agree with lmarmisa - I was going to say your NAT might be to blame with this.

Beans

Thanks, but still no ping rely. Can ping the virtual box server's own IP but not the host.

Beans

If you run ifconfig on the guest, is its IP address in the same subnet as the host, which it should be if you are using bridging. If the guest still has a 10.x IP address, chances are good it is still running in NAT mode.

You did shut down the guest before changing modes, right? You cannot change from NAT to bridged on a running guest VM.
    If you ask for help, do not abandon your request. Please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

thanks, I did not shutdwon and restart.