Thread: Position of Unity Global Menu

Beans

Red face Position of Unity Global Menu

Having just returned to Ubuntu following an absence caused by dischantment with Unity I am suprised that a long standing issue still exists. The Application Global Menu in the left corner of the top panel partially obscures the Application Name if the name is more than 6 letters long.

This looks particularly bad on Applications with long names e.g. Firefox Web Browser.

To fix this it just needs the Global Menu position to be moved to the right a little giving more room for the Application Name.

Whilst this is probably a crime against Unity style rules does anyone know how this may be achieved?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Position of Unity Global Menu

Maximize the application window = solved.

Have you returned for the purpose of using Ubuntu? Or are you only here to complain? Look around. You will find plenty to complain about. Those who have never liked Unity will always find something to complain about. For the simple reason that Canonical is going in the direction it choose to go back in 2011 and it is not going to turn around.

We will soon have Unity 7 which will morph into Unity Next and by this time next year our desktops will have converged with the Ubuntu phone/tablet user interface; Compiz will have gone - replaced by Mir.

I have just read this link about Microsoft loosing its market dominance. Notice why.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2013/04/m...ading-analysts

Fellow industry gurus IDC said,at the tail end of last year that “Consumers and business buyers are now starting to see smartphones, tablets and PCs as a single continuum of connected devices separated primarily by screen size.”
    That is where Ubuntu is going.
    The future, as we’re seeing with Canonical’s investment in Ubuntu Touch, is mobile
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

In my perfect world the global menu should toggle with the application name, so that when you put focus on the panel the menu displays and when focus is not on the panel the app name is displayed.
    There shouldn't be any crossover.
    Last edited by deadflowr; April 4th, 2013 at 10:20 PM. Reason: personalizing
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I'm using Unity now. It is a lot better now. Not sure if I'm gonna stick with it or not. Right now I am really enjoying it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post

Have you returned for the purpose of using Ubuntu? Or are you only here to complain?
    This was a serious question. I cannot understand how it can be considered acceptable that the Global Menu covers half of the Application Title when there is plenty of space in the top panel to allow it to be displayed properly.

Suggesting the solution is to use applications full screen only shows an arrogance previously displayed by Windows 8 and Unity developers trying to make those with large displays use a desktop more suitable for touchscreen smartphones.

To return to the original question, is there a way to move the Global Menu position or is it buried in code?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Have you returned for the purpose of using Ubuntu? Or are you only here to complain?
    Just a little bit snarky don't you think?

Who cares why OP returned - we (Linux in general) need all the help we can get to move this OS into mainstream, and imho we've got a ways to go!