Thread: Printer compatibility & Disk Format Issues

Beans

Question Printer compatibility & Disk Format Issues

Hi all,

I'm in the market for a cost-efficient printer for my university studies; basically I just need to be able to print a lot of articles (so b&w text only, no photo printing capability needed) so I can read them from paper vs a screen. Today in the shop the recommended the Samsung ML-3310D for my purposes.

http://www.samsung.com/ae/consumer/p...n/ML-3310D/XSG

My initial question is, of course, how can I be sure this works with my Lubuntu 12.04? I've already ran into issues today, because I was unable to format an external harddrive (maybe because it was formatted to be used by OS X only? But I could still open the drive in read-only mode...).

I wonder what you guys think about the choice of the printer and how to know if it will run smoothly on Lubuntu?

Thanks a lot!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Printer compatibility & Disk Format Issues

If you click on 'support' then 'more downloads' on the page you linked to there is a Linux driver download, so I'd guess that it works OK

You've definitely made the right choice to go for a laser printer, overall running costs will be a fraction of those of an inkjet if you're going to be doing high volume printing.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Re: Printer compatibility & Disk Format Issues

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    If you click on 'support' then 'more downloads' on the page you linked to there is a Linux driver download, so I'd guess that it works OK
    Ah, alright, thats some much needed goods news!

You're right; after a few days of research it seems that a laser is the way to go.

Thanks for your input!