Thread: How do I get SATA to hotswap / automount?

How do I get SATA to hotswap / automount?

I'm trying to do the same thing with a KF-1000-BK 3.5" hotswap rack by Kingwin (kingwin.com).

I can't get it to work so far.

Here are the issues that I think you all have outlined:

1) AHCI (on or off in bios)
    2) chipset needs to support hotswap (how do I determine this? I have a M2N6B-LA motherboard in an HP computer.)
    3) some kind of script can do it (I dont want to use a script, it should just work.)

Any help would be appreciated in getting this hotswap tray to work so I can easily make backups/restores.

edit: I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

From the motherboard manufacturer web site:

"SATA on the Go
    This motherboard supports the next-generation hard drives based on the Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s storage specification, delivering enhanced scalability and doubling the bus bandwidth for high-speed data retrieval and saves. The external SATA port located at the back I/O provides smart setup and hot-plug functions. Easily backup photos, videos and other entertainment contents on external devices."

http:// usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68VM/

And... the system is setup for a HP Personal Media Drive. This tells me it can do hotswap, but I would like to use the Kingwin tray since the HP Personal Media Drives are either too small and/or too expensive.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by webdesigncompanyla; March 28th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.

Re: How do I get SATA to hotswap / automount?

figured it out after 2 years of not being able to do it...

my hotswap is plugged into the sata3 port on my motherboard (it says SATA3)

so i type this in terminal to rescan if i plug in or remove a drive after booting up:

echo "- - -" | sudo tee -a /sys/class/scsi_host/host3/scan

apparently you need to spin down the drive first (which i didnt do the first few times testing this out by typing:

sudo hdparm -Y /dev/sdb
    got it from here:
    http://forums.bodhilinux.com/index.p...g-sata-drives/

update: the above is only working for me if i boot with a hard drive in my hotswap bay, otherwise it's not detecting it no matter what i try

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

moved to it's own thread - better to not bump a 2 year old thread and hope people bother to look at it
    Forum Social IRC Channel
    Xubuntu IRC Support
    Xubuntu Support

Please do not PM me about Registration issues without having been asked to. I will tell you to post here