Thread: How do I get SATA to hotswap / automount?

Threaded View

How do I get SATA to hotswap / automount?

I'm trying to do the same thing with a KF-1000-BK 3.5" hotswap rack by Kingwin (kingwin.com).

I can't get it to work so far.

Here are the issues that I think you all have outlined:

1) AHCI (on or off in bios)
    2) chipset needs to support hotswap (how do I determine this? I have a M2N6B-LA motherboard in an HP computer.)
    3) some kind of script can do it (I dont want to use a script, it should just work.)

Any help would be appreciated in getting this hotswap tray to work so I can easily make backups/restores.

edit: I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 LTS.

From the motherboard manufacturer web site:

"SATA on the Go
    This motherboard supports the next-generation hard drives based on the Serial ATA (SATA) 3Gb/s storage specification, delivering enhanced scalability and doubling the bus bandwidth for high-speed data retrieval and saves. The external SATA port located at the back I/O provides smart setup and hot-plug functions. Easily backup photos, videos and other entertainment contents on external devices."

http:// usa.asus.com/Motherboards/AMD_AM2Plus/M2N68VM/

And... the system is setup for a HP Personal Media Drive. This tells me it can do hotswap, but I would like to use the Kingwin tray since the HP Personal Media Drives are either too small and/or too expensive.

Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by webdesigncompanyla; March 28th, 2013 at 10:33 PM.