Thread: Internet stop working

Beans

Internet stop working

A few days ago my internet connection stopped working. Without no warning, no abnormal behavior Only on Ubuntu. I had no idea of what could be the reason, until I suddenly had the idea of searching for the data of the end of support for my version of Ubuntu, the 10.04 one.
    Then I saw that it was four days ago.
    So...... can the end of life support somewhat shutdown the internet connection?

Forgot to add that all the testing that I did was try to navigate on the internet using two different navigators. I don't know any tool to do a more "formal" test and didn't see anything that I could use in the preferences. So be free to send me test it with any tool
    Last edited by terrax81; April 4th, 2013 at 07:50 AM.

Beans

Re: Internet stop working

No, I would not think that the end of life for a ubuntu build would shut down the internet on your computer. It would be wise to upgrade though to a newer build for your ubuntu though. Check your router, and are you on wireless or plugged into your broadband internet? Lots of times if you cycle the power on your router, by turning the power off on it and powering the router back on, it will help reset it.

Also if you are using a wireless dongle, try to unplug it and replug it in, over time the connections will corrode some, same with if your computer is plugged directly into your router, unplug all of your connections and replug them in to seat them into your ports better. So do those physical steps first and see if that helps. Usually to troubleshoot problems you will want to start with the simplest steps first and work from there. If that does not help you can then assume its a software problem on your computer.

Beans

No, the problem is not physical, if it was, I wouldn't be posting here

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I used "Gutsy" for a couple of years after EOL - finally upgraded after I added more RAM.
    Is it just Internet access? Can you ping other machines on your network (if there are any) or the router?
    If not, does the machine get/have an IP address?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad] [Sub-forum]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans

Yes, just internet. No other machines. I can ping the router if you tell me how.
    I suppose it does have, but I don't know how to check it