Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: mount external hard drive

Beans

mount external hard drive

Hello,
    I am trying to back up some data from a hard drive(linux format). After I connect it with usb, it does not show any thing on "home folder".
    Here is a result for "sudo fdisk -l"

Does anyone know how to mound an external hard drive and how to back up files from the drive?

fdisk_result.JPG
    Last edited by parkygis; April 4th, 2013 at 06:13 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: mount external hard drive

Which drive are you talking about, /dev/sda or /dev/sdb? sdb has no linux partitions so I assume you are talking about sda. From what you have posted you cannot tell whether sda is mounted or not. I assume it is. What directory are you looking for? fdisk doesn't show directories (folders), only partitions. If you are looking for a user's home directory it should be /home/<username>/. When you try to get a directory of that, or just of /home/, what do you get?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

It should mount automatically. When I plug in my external 1TB USB drive it appears in the file manager (Nautilus) in the left hand pane. All external media is mounted at /media/your-user-name/

Beans

I like to connect "/dev/sdb". I am not sure how to connect to it. actually, the hard drive is from security camera dvr machine.

Beans

I like to connect "/dev/sdb". I am not sure how to connect to it. actually, the hard drive is from security camera dvr machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

OK. Now it begins to make a little sense. It may or may not automatically mount when connected, that depends on how your system is set up. However, sdb as shown in your original message is not a 'linux' disk. If you look fdisk identlifies it as Win95 FAT32.
    Check the /media and /mnt directories, see if it is mounted there. If not, use the mount command to mount if manually. To do that, choose (or create) a directory where you wish to mount it. Assume you will mount it at /media/external/. After this directory exists, use the command 'sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/external'. See what that gives you. Assuming it works and that sdb1 is actually a vfat partition, then you can get a directory and see what is really on there. Since it is from a security camera there is no telling what the actual directory structure is. It may well not be what you expect.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

You have more than one partition on your sdb drive, there is a FAT32 partition and a linux partition. There may be more as well as I can't see the rest of your fdisk output in your screenshot.

Can you run the following command and post back the full output please, it's easiest to just copy the result from your terminal and paste it in your reply in between [CODE] [/CODE] tags to make it easier for us to read.

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    (that's a lower case L not a one).
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by agillator View Post
    OK. Now it begins to make a little sense. It may or may not automatically mount when connected, that depends on how your system is set up. However, sdb as shown in your original message is not a 'linux' disk. If you look fdisk identlifies it as Win95 FAT32.
    Check the /media and /mnt directories, see if it is mounted there. If not, use the mount command to mount if manually. To do that, choose (or create) a directory where you wish to mount it. Assume you will mount it at /media/external/. After this directory exists, use the command 'sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media/external'. See what that gives you. Assuming it works and that sdb1 is actually a vfat partition, then you can get a directory and see what is really on there. Since it is from a security camera there is no telling what the actual directory structure is. It may well not be what you expect.
    thanks for the quick response.
    I am getting a result as follows.
    Code:
    james@james-Compaq-Mini-110c-1100:~$ sudo mount -t vfat /dev/sdb1 /media
    mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/sdb1,
           missing codepage or helper program, or other error
           In some cases useful info is found in syslog - try
           dmesg | tail  or so

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Cheesemill View Post
    You have more than one partition on your sdb drive, there is a FAT32 partition and a linux partition. There may be more as well as I can't see the rest of your fdisk output in your screenshot.

Can you run the following command and post back the full output please, it's easiest to just copy the result from your terminal and paste it in your reply in between [CODE] [/CODE] tags to make it easier for us to read.

Code:
    sudo parted -l
    (that's a lower case L not a one).
    I am getting a result as follows.
    Code:
    james@james-Compaq-Mini-110c-1100:~$ sudo parted -l
    Model: ATA SAMSUNG HM160HI (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 160GB
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number  Start   End    Size    Type      File system     Flags
     1      1049kB  159GB  159GB   primary   ext4            boot
     2      159GB   160GB  1063MB  extended
     5      159GB   160GB  1063MB  logical   linux-swap(v1)

Error: Can't have a partition outside the disk!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There's something funny going on with the partitions on the external drive, as parted isn't showing it at all.
    Can you post the results of...
    Code:
    sudo fdisk -l /dev/sdb
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast