Thread: ATI Radeon X 1950 pro fx display driver on 12.04 Precise

Beans

Unhappy ATI Radeon X 1950 pro fx display driver on 12.04 Precise

I am currently using unbuntu 12.04 and am at a complete lost as to understand how to install these proprietary driver of my video card. ive followed instruction for AMD driver but the one provided by the site does not support precise... help please....

Beans

Re: ATI Radeon X 1950 pro fx display driver on 12.04 Precise

In my exp. DON'T use the one from the site, go to software center -> edit -> software sources -> additional drivers

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: ATI Radeon X 1950 pro fx display driver on 12.04 Precise

Hello and welcome to the forums!

The X1950 is in a legacy driver branch for Linux. Unfortunately, that driver will not work with any X Server version since late 2008/early 2009. Don't even try to install it.

If you attempt to install the driver from additional drivers, you will be greeted with a message that you do not have a recognized card.

The Windows driver is also considered "Legacy", but because Windows does not use anything like X Server, the legacy driver will work.

The default open source Radeon driver installed with Ubuntu should fulfill the needs of the vast majority of users.

Regards,

QIII
    Last edited by QIII; April 4th, 2013 at 08:04 PM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.