Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gubuntu Petition to Canonical on behalf of Business Owners and Superusers everywhere

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Gubuntu Petition to Canonical on behalf of Business Owners and Superusers everywh

it detracts from productivity and gives employees access to gimmicks that rob the productivity of ligitimate office time.
    That problem for businesses started with giving employees access to the internet. It has nothing to do with Unity and everything to do with management ignorance of computers. When I was at work I was often prevented from using a computer for work purposes because a manager was searching the company web site for another job.

I do not support this partition. This is just another anti-unity attempt to insult Ubuntu and its developers.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Gubuntu Petition to Canonical on behalf of Business Owners and Superusers everywh

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    That problem for businesses started with giving employees access to the internet. It has nothing to do with Unity and everything to do with management ignorance of computers. When I was at work I was often prevented from using a computer for work purposes because a manager was searching the company web site for another job.

I do not support this partition. This is just another anti-unity attempt to insult Ubuntu and its developers.
    I agree with this.
    Partition is an excellent choice of wordplay for what this thread is advocating.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans

Fix for people messing around @ work.

Find a new GUI.

OR

Dont employ idiots who waste time?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Not that keen on a gnome/ubuntu TBH. Is anyone really that happy with G3 anyway? I thought only fedora were really flying the flag. May be more interested in a mate/ubuntu.

Beans

Or just bite the bullet and get Red Hat Enterprise Linux, which is what most of the "business owners and superusers" are using these days. They'll be supporting RHEL 6 (Gnome 2 desktop) through 2023!

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan J Murray View Post
    Not that keen on a gnome/ubuntu TBH. Is anyone really that happy with G3 anyway?
    I like it. It's not quite as good as Unity, but it's pretty good. A big improvement over Gnome 2 IMNSHO.
    Last edited by snowpine; April 4th, 2013 at 08:28 PM.

Beans

If Xubuntu/Lubuntu/Kubuntu does not work for you and you don't want to use Unity then you are pretty demanding user indeed. BUT you still can solve this with ease:

1.) Install GDM.
    2.) Add MATE repository and install it from it.

http://wiki.mate-desktop.org/download

MATE 1.6 was just released!

And don't say it's not "official" and therefore problematic!

Sure it is "official" Ubuntu 12.04 is supported by Canonical and MATE is directly supported by it's upstream!
    Last edited by EgoGratis; April 4th, 2013 at 09:03 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Why petitions about business matters?

I don't see top salespeople sitting around developing petitions to companies, getting other to sign them and then hoping that the companies notice.

Instead, they create a compelling proposal, find out who makes decisions on such things (and how to get access to that person/group) and arrange to present it.

So why not do it the way they do?

Beans

Kubuntu, Lubuntu, Xubuntu, and similar respins are not Canonical projects, they're community-based projects. These and other "official respins" of Ubuntu were "officially blessed" after their respective communities formed and created them.

Open source is generally a meritocracy: do the work, and you'll get recognized. Petitions are a waste of time.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    Maybe this petition is. But it's not necessarily anti-unity FUD for someone to want an official Gnome variant of Ubuntu. Some people actually like Gnome and are not trying to troll Unity.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    Maybe this petition is. But it's not necessarily anti-unity FUD for someone to want an official Gnome variant of Ubuntu. Some people actually like Gnome and are not trying to troll Unity.
    Completely agree with that - the trouble is the 'real' requests for information etc get drowned out by the rest.

This isn't even a petition as far as I can tell - just a post on a forum that it's very unlikely anyone from Canonical will ever see.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast