Thread: Program directory, Unity questions.

Beans

Program directory, Unity questions.

1 - where is "program directory"? instructions on a troubleshooting writeup Im tryin gto follow tell me to CD to "program directory" but there seems to be no such directory, and nothing named so obiously as it is in Winders.

2 - how do I change the actual command run by an icon on the "dash"? Im accustomed to right-click on an icon to get properties for what the icon is actually really doing, but I seem unable to find the actual properties in Ubuntu. Like adding a switch or a parameter to the command line every time I hit that icon.....

3 - OK, I have several apps open, and say 3 are minimized and Im working in one. I need to get back to one of the minimized apps, but I cant seem to find it. How do I bring that app back from being minimized? I cannot seem to find the list of minimized apps anywhere.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: stupid questions

There's more than one program directory, but the usual one for user-installed programs is /usr/bin/
    It would help to know what program you're troubleshooting, and a link to the instructions.

Edit: I changed the title of your thread to more accurately represent your questions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Program directory, Unity questions.

2. What you need is the Main Menu program. You can launch it from the Dash.

3. All open programs should be shown in the Launcher on the left side of the screen. Click the program's icon twice to expose all its windows, and click the window you want.

Beans

Re: Program directory, Unity questions.

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    2. What you need is the Main Menu program. You can launch it from the Dash.
    Doesnt seem to be there. Search for "main" brings up several things, but nothing close to "main menu" Am I being dense?

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    3. All open programs should be shown in the Launcher on the left side of the screen. Click the program's icon twice to expose all its windows, and click the window you want.
    Thanks, that helps immensely!

Beans

Re: stupid questions

Quote Originally Posted by oldos2er View Post
    There's more than one program directory, but the usual one for user-installed programs is /usr/bin/
    It would help to know what program you're troubleshooting, and a link to the instructions.

Edit: I changed the title of your thread to more accurately represent your questions.
    The /usr/bin is what I needed. The instructions told me to do the following after CD to my program directory:
    Code:
    ./thunderbird -profilemanager
    but I couldnt figure out where the program dir was. Thx.