Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Hey All,

    I'm working on creating a light-weight installation of Lubuntu on a USB key so that I can plug into any computer and boot to my OS. I used a program called Universal USB installer to install Lubuntu onto the USB drive, but everytime I boot to it I get prompted for which language I want to use and asked if I want to "Boot from USB Key, Install to the HDD...." like I'm using a live CD.

    Is there a way to by-pass both of these? Or at least by-pass the language selection portion of this?

    Thanks for your help!

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    6

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    I think you installed the version to your USB which you are supposed to use to install the actual OS, instead of installing the "regular" version of the OS to the USB.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Beans
    10

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    That could be true, I have this menacing looking "Install Lubuntu 12.10" icon on the desktop...

    I downloaded the file directly from the Lubuntu website (or Ubuntu, I can't remember) do you know where the correct source might be?

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    INDY
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Take a look at the information in this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...1#post12570429

    It should give you the way to get what you want.
    Castles Made of Sand,
    Fall in the Sea,
    Eventually!

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
    Beans
    2,588
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Go to the root folder of your Live USB
    Enter the syslinux directory
    Make the syslinux.cfg file writeable

    For a Live install replace the contents of the file syslinux.cfg with:

    Code:
    default live
        label live
          say Booting an Ubuntu Live session...
          kernel /casper/vmlinuz
          append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash noprompt --
    or if you have a Persistent install:

    Code:
    default Persistent
    label Persistent
      say Booting an Ubuntu Persistent session...
      kernel /casper/vmlinuz
      append  file=/cdrom/preseed/ubuntu.seed boot=casper persistent initrd=/casper/initrd.lz quiet splash noprompt --

    Edit:
    Above is for a Startup Disk Creator install.
    For a UNetbootin or Universal install you will need to look elsewhere for syslinux.cfg
    Last edited by C.S.Cameron; March 30th, 2013 at 03:11 AM.

  6. #6
    squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2,238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    I would just use unetbootin and build a USB installation with persistence (to remember things from one run to the next). I also would suspect you have the installation media copied to your USB, not an actual install to the USB. Unetbootin makes this process easy.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    apt-get
    Beans
    4,245
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Quote Originally Posted by Deaner13 View Post
    Hey All,

    I'm working on creating a light-weight installation of Lubuntu on a USB key so that I can plug into any computer and boot to my OS. I used a program called Universal USB installer to install Lubuntu onto the USB drive, but everytime I boot to it I get prompted for which language I want to use and asked if I want to "Boot from USB Key, Install to the HDD...." like I'm using a live CD.

    Is there a way to by-pass both of these? Or at least by-pass the language selection portion of this?

    Thanks for your help!
    You are not installing Lubuntu on your USB, you are simply creating a LiveUSB
    What are you seeing is the installer which will ask for the language, etc.


    To install Lubuntu on USB - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Lu..._4GB_USB_Drive

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
    Beans
    2,588
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Quote Originally Posted by squakie View Post
    I would just use unetbootin and build a USB installation with persistence (to remember things from one run to the next). I also would suspect you have the installation media copied to your USB, not an actual install to the USB. Unetbootin makes this process easy.
    The OP asked how to get rid of the Language/try/install pages. An UNetbootin install still has a try/install/memtest page.

    To remove these from an UNetbootin install edit syslinux.cfg as above in post 5.
    With UNetbootin install the syslinux.cfg file is found in the root of the USB.

  9. #9
    squakie is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Beans
    2,238
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Quote Originally Posted by C.S.Cameron View Post
    The OP asked how to get rid of the Language/try/install pages. An UNetbootin install still has a try/install/memtest page.

    To remove these from an UNetbootin install edit syslinux.cfg as above in post 5.
    With UNetbootin install the syslinux.cfg file is found in the root of the USB.
    Got confused there - I was thinking about when I created a running USB installation with persistence. Indeed unetbootin only creates a bootable installation media, and hence you're right - the language selection would be there because it would just be an installation media, not a running install. Sorry about that! I would think it would be much easier for the OP to just do an install to the flash drive as I never had the language selection screen when I've done that - no file editing needed.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Hikkaduwa, Sri Lanka
    Beans
    2,588
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    Re: How do I stop language prompt on usb install?

    Removing Try/Install reduces boot time by about a half, a Full install reduces boot time by about a half again.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •