Thread: [SOLVED]old ubuntu and security

Beans

[SOLVED]old ubuntu and security

When I load an old ubuntu distro, just downloaded from the old-ubuntu's distro's site.
    What is then the status on security level. I mean this. The CD's listed at old-ubuntu distors are loaded with the last updates for that release.
    Or are those cd's just some cd's which needed losts of updates after install.

If the last updates are not on those cd's, how can someone get the last updates .

When I would revert to an old release and the last updates are not implemented in those cd's it would be very unwise to use these distro's
    Last edited by kuifje09; April 7th, 2013 at 04:43 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: old ubuntu and security

The security on old releases is as it was when the release hit end of life, meaning that after the EOL no support or security updates/patches have gone into those releases.
    I think though that you can upgrade from the old-release to a supported release. Probably depends on how old old is.

Edit: If you're worried about not having the twenty or so security updates for the dead release you can switch up the repos to get the old-release archives, which should include the very last security updates for that release.

http://superuser.com/questions/33953...buntu-versions

Mind you that it'll probably not help with the 800 other security updates that have come along since then.
    Last edited by deadflowr; April 4th, 2013 at 02:44 AM. Reason: More,More,More
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The CD images on you can find at http://old-releases.ubuntu.com/ are the original ISO's from a specific version.
    They have no updates applied at all, you are getting the same ISO that you would if you had downloaded it on the release date.

By pointing your sources.list to the old-releases repositories you will be able to get all of the hundreds of updates that were released during that versions lifetime, but no updates at all will have been released since your version reached end-of-life.

When I would revert to an old release and the last updates are not implemented in those cd's it would be very unwise to use these distro's
    Even when you do have all of the available updates applied, it would still be very unwise to use those distros.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Thats is just what I was afraid of. Some virgin release. Now it also becomes clear why I always have tons of updates after an install.
    Always expected a more updated cd/dvd when you wait some time after the first release.
    There is no way to get those cd's in some updated version, to the last state of those releases?
    I understand there are not much people who want such older release. But now it would be handy if you want to keep an old fully updated cd/dvd version.
    I could roll back then to an older release. I do not realy like the gnome3 and newer kernels who render my system, or at least my graphics to trash.

I am sure there are other people who are alike me, mayby I will step to another disto but still more step up to gnome 3 and the newer kernel.
    You know, my pc is not a touch tablet. However there is ( for the moment ??? ) the fallback-mode.
    I usualy have more then 1 window beside each other. Especially when programming. ( but don't mind my whining )

To Cheesmill : About lots of new security updates, A lot of them are related to the rewriten or updated code I guess...
    changing and renewing always leads to new bugs of all kind. Reuse of old code for s programming-peed, can also introduse old bugs again...
    So when you want a stable and secure system, you need an old good maintained one. Thats why run into lot of issues I did not expect after the last almost forced to upgrade into ubuntu 12.04. I am usaly one of tht last switching to new versions.
    But onestly I admit 12.04 is a lot faster if touch and feel then 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I think that you're too paranoid.
    24 beers in a case, 24 hours in a day. Coincidence? I think not!

Trusty Tahr 64 bit, AMD Phenom II 955 Quad Core 3.2GHz, GeForce 9600 GT
    16G PC2-6400 RAM, 128 GB SSD, Twin 1TB SATA 7200 RPM RAID0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by kuifje09 View Post
    Thats is just what I was afraid of. Some virgin release. Now it also becomes clear why I always have tons of updates after an install.
    Always expected a more updated cd/dvd when you wait some time after the first release.
    There is no way to get those cd's in some updated version, to the last state of those releases?
    I understand there are not much people who want such older release. But now it would be handy if you want to keep an old fully updated cd/dvd version.
    I could roll back then to an older release. I do not realy like the gnome3 and newer kernels who render my system, or at least my graphics to trash.

I am sure there are other people who are alike me, mayby I will step to another disto but still more step up to gnome 3 and the newer kernel.
    You know, my pc is not a touch tablet. However there is ( for the moment ??? ) the fallback-mode.
    I usualy have more then 1 window beside each other. Especially when programming. ( but don't mind my whining )

To Cheesmill : About lots of new security updates, A lot of them are related to the rewriten or updated code I guess...
    changing and renewing always leads to new bugs of all kind. Reuse of old code for s programming-peed, can also introduse old bugs again...
    So when you want a stable and secure system, you need an old good maintained one. Thats why run into lot of issues I did not expect after the last almost forced to upgrade into ubuntu 12.04. I am usaly one of tht last switching to new versions.
    But onestly I admit 12.04 is a lot faster if touch and feel then 11.04
    Unity and gnome-shell aren't the only desktop environments available. Try Xubuntu, Lubuntu or Kubuntu, you can download the ISO, and try them, you don't even have to install anything. For me up-to-date packages are more inportant than spending quite a bit of time trying to update a release that has come to it's end of life.

Beans

Thanks for all reaktions. And yes I may be a bit paranoid, but to much ?