Thread: GPU continuously hanging

Beans

Unhappy GPU continuously hanging

Ok, before anyone begins to ask questions I will let you know everything I've done and seen beforehand.

When I first installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my Dell Inspiron n5050 everything was great and running smoothly. Only after I started updating through the default Ubuntu software updater I started experiencing these problems. Every time there was an update available I would always update it without looking what was being updated most of the time. Then I started receiving "GPU hang intel.py" something like that, not exactly on the lines of that, but my screen would freeze/flicker for a second, sometimes just freeze up until I restarted. I always report this problem in hopes that someone in the Development team would notice the problem and fix it, but its been ongoing for 2 weeks now, so I'm posting here.

I did some research on my own and found out that some users were also experiencing this problem after automatically updating the kernel they were using before. Some were able to fix their problems by installing a different kernel which coincided with their computer. I know somewhat of what I'm doing with a computer but I do not want to download a kernel I know nothing about and replace it on my PC and brick it. I'm not even sure this is the source of my problem. It seems as if my display driver is having trouble functioning, though. Thanks for all the help, I just really want to fix this problem as I love using Ubuntu as a daily OS.

Beans

Re: GPU continuously hanging

anyone? Excuse me if bumping isn't allowed.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The best I can do is refer you to this thread:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2128691

There are several threads on similar issues and the solution seems to be using an older kernal. Search the forums for "pin kernel."

Beans

Thanks for replying, I figured I would have to revert to a previous kernel. In the meantime I will continue to report the errors as the appear. Maybe the developers will run into a fix soon.