Thread: Backtrack gets stuck during install (step 3 of 7)

Beans

Backtrack gets stuck during install (step 3 of 7)

hello ubuntuforums, I am here to talk to you guys about my experience with backtrack 5 r3. I have tried other versions and they simply put- refused to boot what so ever. I finally got revision 3 to boot with the command "splash i915.modeset=1" (hitting tab to change the boot command) I am using BackTrack r3 KDE (Doubtful if KDE has anything to do with it), but whatever the reason it gets stuck at the keyboard select screen. I can technically bypass this by taking out the USB flash drive right before i select next at the keyboard screen, but then it gives me an error when i try to install it, and it wont open anything else up. Any ideas thoughts or comments? Thanks for being the best forum community, meathdeath

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Backtrack gets stuck during install! (step 3 of 7)

BackTrack is now called Kali Linux. From what I understand Kali is supposed to be way easier to install to an HD. BackTrack was based on deprecated software ie. Ubuntu 10.04 and was mainly meant for flash drives.

http://www.kali.org/

Edit: Also, BackTrack always stalled for 5 to 10 minutes when installing to an HD. At least in my experience.
    Last edited by neruson; April 4th, 2013 at 12:34 AM.

Beans

thank you sir il give it a try... can you tag this as solved? idk how

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I'm not a moderator so I can't mark your thread as solved, but all you have to do is edit your initial post and add "[solved]" somewhere in the subject line.

Beans

okay... but this also brings up another question does Kali have to be installed via CD/DVD? because im using a flash drive as my dvd burner is nonfuncitonal

Beans

UPDATE!: i have gotten around the installation issue, however i am now faced with the black screen after i enter "startx" i have read online people are suggesting commands such as rm /root/.kde/cache-root/icon-cache.kcache and rm /root/.kde/cache-root/plasma_theme_Volatile.kcache and rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/icon-cache.kcache and even rm /root/.kde/cache-bt/plasma_theme_Volatile.kcache but the problem is that backtrack tells me there is no such directory... any ideas?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Please take BAcktrack issues to the Backtrack support - we do not support it here.