Thread: How can I change to the generic Kernel?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

How can I change to the generic Kernel?

After installing Ubuntu Studio 12.10, my computer is somewhat unstable. It will freeze randomly, without giving any type of error. I'm hoping the culprit is the low latency kernel, since I previously had Ubuntu 12.04 running with no issues. I do not need the specialized kernel since I am using the distro for processing photographs.

How can I change to the generic Kernel?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Last edited by cjhill1836; April 4th, 2013 at 03:27 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: How can I change to the generic Kernel?

You can start here: UbuntuStudio/RealTimeKernel

Beans
    Hidden!

You could use Synaptic Package Manager to install different kernels.

synaptic kernels.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

-------------------------------------
    Oooh Shiny: PopularPages

Unumquodque potest reparantur. Patientia sit virtus.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Thanks For the help everyone, I was able to switch to the generic kernel with Synaptic Package Manager. Seems stable so far, and I learned a little about the kernels in the process.

Cheers!

Beans
    Hidden!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cjhill1836 View Post
    Thanks For the help everyone, I was able to switch to the generic kernel with Synaptic Package Manager. Seems stable so far, and I learned a little about the kernels in the process.

Cheers!
    I'd just like to point out that there really is practically no difference between linux-generic and linux-lowlatency. So, it is extremely unlikely that you will encounter stability issues with only one of the two.

However, if you are not doing low latency audio work, you might not have any need of linux-lowlatency. linux-lowlatency may require more battery power. Also, it has a bit slower throughput (about 10% decrease in throughput). But, the latter is mostly a problem for big servers.

Beans

I recently installed the lowlatency kernal (for audio production purposes) and my laptop is noticeably sluggish since then (lenovo B570 i5 with ubuntu 13.10).

How do I switch back to generic using either apt-get or synaptics?
    Or even create a boot option to load into either generic or lowlatency, if such a thing is possible?

After reading through suggested links I see a lot of info about kernels themselves but not much instruction about how to manage/change them, not that I understand anyways.

Any help (simple step guide ideally) would be much appreciated!

Thanks
    Sean

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Boot option is already set up in GRUB.
    Just choose what you want.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Quote Originally Posted by shaone View Post
    I recently installed the lowlatency kernal (for audio production purposes) and my laptop is noticeably sluggish since then (lenovo B570 i5 with ubuntu 13.10).

How do I switch back to generic using either apt-get or synaptics?
    To simply install the current generic kernel:
    $ sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install linux-generic
    Quote Originally Posted by shaone View Post
    Or even create a boot option to load into either generic or lowlatency, if such a thing is possible?

After reading through suggested links I see a lot of info about kernels themselves but not much instruction about how to manage/change them, not that I understand anyways.
    If all you have on the system is Ubuntu, by default you'll not get the option to select a specific kernel image on boot. You should be able to hold down 'Shift' to get the menu during bootup, or you can edit /etc/default/grub and force its display.

I'd use nano to edit that:
    $ sudo nano /etc/default/grub
    If you place a '#' before the two GRUB_HIDDEN_TIMEOUT lines, then the menu will be displayed every time you boot the system. Alternate kernels may-well be rolled up in a sub-menu; but, your changes won't be visible until you regenerate the boot components of Grub:
    $ sudo update-grub

If you've never seen the list of available kernels at boot, I'd not be surprised if you've several old ones left. Simplest way to get rid of old/unused images is with Synaptic. Select packages by Status: Installed, and start typing the kernel image number(s) in to find the removable old ones (eg: '3.11.0-').

If this solves your issues, please follow the instructions to mark the thread as solved.