Thread: (12.10) Firefox dissappeared & Software Centre wont install programs

Beans

(12.10) Firefox dissappeared & Software Centre wont install programs

Earlier I booted into ubuntu and an error message popped up during the boot saying (loosely quoted): "ubuntu is checking drives for errors". It gave me a series of options and I pressed "f" to attempt to fix these errors. The situtation was eventually solved and ubunut booted successfully but I noticed that Firefox was missing from the unity launcher and drom the dash. I checked the software centre to see if it was installed and it said it was. I managed to run firefox through the terminal and when I do this message appears in the terminal:

Code:
    aaron@arn-Roma:~$ firefox

** (firefox:3059): WARNING **: Failed to open webapp application path dir /usr/share/ubuntu/unity-webapps/userscripts: Error opening directory '/usr/share/ubuntu/unity-webapps/userscripts': No such file or directory

** (firefox:3059): WARNING **: Failed to open webapp application path dir /usr/share/gnome/unity-webapps/userscripts: Error opening directory '/usr/share/gnome/unity-webapps/userscripts': No such file or directory

** (firefox:3059): WARNING **: Failed to open webapp application path dir /usr/local/share/unity-webapps/userscripts: Error opening directory '/usr/local/share/unity-webapps/userscripts': No such file or directory
    2013-04-03 15:08:43,761 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - found a running software-center on dbus, reconnecting
    2013-04-03 15:08:45,023 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - found a running software-center on dbus, reconnecting
    NOTE: child process received `Goodbye', closing down
    I tried re-installing but that didn't work so I decided to see if I could install chromium browser instead, but when I clicked the install button no authentication request showed up and it didn't install, almost as if the software centre wasn't responding.

Also, when I booth up a message pops up saying (again, loosely quoted): "error found with your computer, would you like to report it now?". When I click report, nothing happens.

Is there anything that can be done about this?

I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 that dual boots with Windows 7 both with a 250 GB partition to each OS, by the way.
    Last edited by sandyd; April 4th, 2013 at 07:55 PM. Reason: code tags

Beans

Re: (12.10) Firefox dissappeared & Software Centre wont install programs

Update: Re-installing the Ubuntu Software Centre has not worked, unfortunately.

Beans

Bump.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Maybe try repairing the OS?
    Stick the Ubuntu DVD in and reinstall?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ice On Fire View Post
    Maybe try repairing the OS?
    Stick the Ubuntu DVD in and reinstall?
    I was thinking that too. Would I lose all my files?

Beans

Also, Vuze does not run for me either.

Beans

I also cannot access my software sources, in system settings and in the software centre.