Thread: Rotating PDF's permanently

Beans

Post Rotating PDF's permanently

Hey guys, at the office were having a hard time with some of our PDF files. Were
    converting multiple scanned images into a single PDF but they are all coming out
    sideways, and i'm havin a hard time finding a program that will rotate the files
    and save as permanently. I've tried PDF X-Change, nitro reader, adobe acrobat
    (we don't have a paid account anymore and its not looking like an option for the
    foreseeable future). I'm using ubuntu on my laptop but all the rest of the office
    computers are on windows, so if there could be an open source option that supplies
    for both as far as rotating and saving PDF files permanently, that'd be awesome,
    I'm just having a hard time finding anything through google atm.

-Regards

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Rotating PDF's permanently

I bet you can do it with Imagemagick convert. It's a command-line program that knows how to handle PDF files as well as many other formats. You can install it from the repositories with "sudo apt-get install imagemagick". It could be as simple as

Code:
    convert input.pdf -rotate 90 output.pdf
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:31 PM.
    If you ask for help, please have the courtesy to check for responses and thank the people who helped you.

Blog · Linode System Administration Guides · Android Apps for Ubuntu Users

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SeijiSensei View Post
    I bet you can do it with Imagemagick convert. It's a command-line program that knows how to handle PDF files as well as many other formats. You can install it from the repositories with "sudo apt-get install imagemagick". It could be as simple as

Code:
    convert input.pdf -rotate 90 output.pdf
    thanks. I'm going to check that one out.

any programs out there for both platforms?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

ePDFView is a lightweight PDF document viewer that only uses the GTK+ and Poppler libraries. It has the standard tools such as: Next/Previous page, Zoom in/out, enter a page number manually, full screen view, a text selector, Rotate pages Right & Left, Save as a copy, Search for text, Send to Print.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install epdfview

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Evince does that also. That is not what the OP is looking for.

I am not sure whether the "convert" option does not also change the actual data contained in the PDF (e.g. rasterizing) besides just rotating it. If it doesn't, then indeed that is a fast and elegant solution using software that is standard in the system. I did a test drive, and indeed, a 430 kb pdf came out as a 1.3 MB rotated PDF, all rasterized in poor resolution. So that is not an option.

Probably one can achieve this using ghostscript, but more convenient is pdftk. There are also some "graphical" solutions in the software center: just search for "PDF".

Beans

Read this article

http://www.codeproject.com/Tips/2233...ate-a-PDF-file

Quote Originally Posted by blanka32 View Post
    Hey guys, at the office were having a hard time with some of our PDF files. Were
    converting multiple scanned images into a single PDF but they are all coming out
    sideways, and i'm havin a hard time finding a program that will rotate & read PDF the files
    and save as permanently. I've tried PDF X-Change, nitro reader, adobe acrobat
    (we don't have a paid account anymore and its not looking like an option for the
    foreseeable future). I'm using ubuntu on my laptop but all the rest of the office
    computers are on windows, so if there could be an open source option that supplies
    for both as far as rotating and saving PDFfiles permanently, that'd be awesome,
    I'm just having a hard time finding anything through google atm.

-Regards

Beans

I think the best tool for this purpose would be pdftk.

The code goes like this: pdftk <input filename> cat <page range><rotation> output <output filename>

So, to rotate only page 7 of in.pdf 90 degrees clockwise:

Code:
    pdftk in.pdf cat 1-6 7E 8-end output out.pdf
    To rotate the entire document in.pdf by 180 degrees:

Code:
    pdftk in.pdf cat 1-endS output out.pdf