Thread: Firmware updates for Nikon DSLRs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Firmware updates for Nikon DSLRs

If you own a recent Nikon DSLR, you may be aware that a number of firmware updates have been released. As of today, they include the D4, D600, and D800 as well as the D3, D3s, D3x, D7000, and D3200. I suspect that more may be added.

Nikon's instructions are easy to follow and download links are given for Windows and Mac platforms. However, being a Linux nerd and a semi-absolutist, I experimented and found a way to accomplish everything in Ubuntu. No Windows computer is needed, which is a good thing, since I don't own any!

Here are Nikon's instructions: http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ.../18257/kw/D800 This link is for the D800. While the instructions are similar, the firmware files are not. Be sure to find the page for your exact Nikon model.

I followed the instructions exactly but downloaded the Windows .exe to a folder I named D800Firmware. Then I opened a terminal and did:
    Code:
    cd D800Firmware
    unrar e F-D800*
    unrar graciously extracted the .bin file referred to in the instructions and I continued with the firmware update. It went perfectly. I was quite confident it would, having updated firmware on several other Nikon DSLRs previously with no problem at all.

I hope my experience may be helpful.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Firmware updates for Nikon DSLRs

Thank you for the heads up, chili555. I have a DSLR D70, and thanks to you, I now know that it's firmware has been updated in 03/29/2013.

When I'll get home I'll try to proceed with the installation in my Ubuntu box. Tell me just one thing, did you use an approved CF card in the camera, like suggested at Nikon's website, or did you manage to do it with a Microdrive card?

Beans
    Distro

I use Sandisk Extreme CF cards. I have no idea if they are on Nikon's approved list, but I have used them in various sizes since my first DSLR. I have never had one fail or hiccup.

Please post back your experience so the searchers will see how smoothly it goes.
    Last edited by chili555; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:35 PM.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chili555 View Post
    ... I have no idea if they are on Nikon's approved list, ...
    That's the reason I asked. I haven't manage to find such a list at Nikon's website.

Anyway, I'll try to do it with the card I have and see how it will work.
    Last edited by slickymaster; April 3rd, 2013 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by slickymaster View Post
    I haven't manage to find such a list at Nikon's website.
    http://support.nikonusa.com/app/answ...--d70-%2F-d70s

Here ya go!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Thanks a lot.
    It turns out I had a misspelled on my query terms.

Beans
    Distro

I'm pretty sure many of the cards mentioned are available at reasonable prices at a variety of nearby big box stores. CF card is the only method I've ever used and therefor the only method I recommend. Other methods may work just fine but I haven't tried them and can't vouch for them. Dr. Chili recommends you always flash firmware responsibly!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

... CF card is the only method I've ever used and therefor the only method I recommend. ...
    Completely agree with you. My issue is that I only have a few Kingston's 16 GB 266x CF cards and the list just mention SanDisk, Lexar and Renesas.
    But I'll give it a try anyway.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I followed the instructions exactly but downloaded the Windows .exe to a folder I named D800Firmware. Then I opened a terminal and did:
    Code:
    cd D800Firmware
    unrar e F-D800*
    unrar graciously extracted the .bin file referred to in the instructions and I continued with the firmware update. It went perfectly. I was quite confident it would, having updated firmware on several other Nikon DSLRs previously with no problem at all.

I hope my experience may be helpful.
    Again, thank you.

Did it the way you suggest for my D70, and worked like a charm.

Edit: By the way, didn't get any problems with my CF cards.