Thread: Cannot add Ubuntu to Grub

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Cannot add Ubuntu to Grub

I accidentally installed grub from arch linux, and I had to put entries on it. I did it with Windows Vista, and it works fine, but I tried with Ubuntu, and it didn't work. This is what I typed in in /boot/grub/custom.cfg:

Code:
    menuentry "Ubuntu" {
    set root=(hd0,5)
    linux /boot/vmlinuz
    initrd /boot/initrd.img
    }
    Is this right, or do I have to type in something else? Thanks.
    Last edited by bashhimup; April 3rd, 2013 at 07:11 PM.

Beans

Re: Cannot add Ubuntu to Grub

did you try the simple way of using os-prober first to generate a grub.cfg automatically? Also if anything can help this is it https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GRUB2
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

+1 on mamamia88 post
    It looks like you have to install os-prober with Arch to use it. And that is the easiest way.
    You have to have version number of the kernel as it is in /boot. You should be able to look at the grub.cfg in your Ubuntu boot/grub folder in sda5, if that is your Ubuntu install.

You can also boot from the links Ubuntu puts into / (root), these links are updated to be the most current kernel.

menuentry "Ubuntu on sda5" {
    set root=(hd0,5)
    linux /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda5 ro quiet splash
    initrd /initrd.img
    }

How to: Create a Customized GRUB2 Screen that is Maintenance Free.- Cavsfan
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Ma...tomGrub2Screen
    UEFI boot install & repair info - Regularly Updated :
    https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

But, Pacman won't download os-prober. It shows this:

Code:
    warning: failed to retrieve some files from community
    error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
    Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
    And this happens for anything I download.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bashhimup View Post
    But, Pacman won't download os-prober. It shows this:

Code:
    warning: failed to retrieve some files from community
    error: failed to commit transaction (download library error)
    Errors occurred, no packages were upgraded.
    And this happens for anything I download.
    first make sure you have a working internet connection. then update the mirrors list.

Code:
    ping -c 3 www.google.com
    then use the script found here to automate the rotation of a new pacman mirror list based on up to date info. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...list_Generator just copy and paste that into a text editor,save it somewhere that you'll remember, cd to that directory, chmod +x file, ./file, and hit yes when asked to replace old mirrorlist. I hope that helps you.
    Whoever came up with the phrase "There is no such thing as a stupid question" obviously never had the internet.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by mamamia88 View Post
    first make sure you have a working internet connection. then update the mirrors list.

Code:
    ping -c 3 www.google.com
    then use the script found here to automate the rotation of a new pacman mirror list based on up to date info. https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...list_Generator just copy and paste that into a text editor,save it somewhere that you'll remember, cd to that directory, chmod +x file, ./file, and hit yes when asked to replace old mirrorlist. I hope that helps you.
    Oh, I just forgot to connect to the internet. Thanks!

So, I just started os-prober, and it says that my Ubuntu installation is actually on /dev/sda6. So do I just change it in /boot/grub/custom.cfg, or what?

Beans

check the wiki entry on grub2. Not particulary sure since when I used arch I made sure it was correct the first time and never bothered to tinker with it. It was also the only os on my computer at the time.

Beans
    Distro

I figured out how to use os-prober. Just generate the grub.cfg. I can boot into ubuntu again! Thank you! The only tiny problem is that there is no ubuntu loading screen, just a blinking underscore, but that's pretty much nitpicking. Thanks guys!
    If any of you want to give me some Bitcoins, here is my wallet: 1JRbQ8nLfkPBKvRxfzMQXdqAyMW4vJirrY