Thread: wget rename output file

Beans

Question wget rename output file

I am using wget in Cygwin to download some files. The wget code and a sample url are shown below:

Code:
    wget -i slist.txt -r -l1 -p
    Code:
    http://www.website.com/file?_ob=MRL&_cid=271352&_user=1022551&_pii=S0924424705006436&_check=y&_origin=browsee&_zone=rslt_list_item&_coverDate=2006-05-24&wchp=dGLbVlk-zSkWz&md5=6088a053f5b5f75f8a7b973da6e32d45&pid=1-s2.0-S0924424705006436-file.pdf
    By default the name of the output pdf file is set to whatever the download link is. For example, for the above sample, the saved pdf filename is: "file@_ob=MRL&_cid=271352&_user=1022551&_pii=S0924 424705006436&_check=y&_origin=browsee&_zone=rslt_l ist_item&_coverDate=2006-05-24&wchp=dGLbVlk-zSkWz&md5=6088a053f5b5f75f8a7b973da6e32d45&pid=1-s2.0-S0924424705006436-file.pdf"

As you can see the filename is too long and sometimes it does not save the pdf file because it is too long.
    Therefore, I want to specify the output filename. I want it to be automatically changed to the bold string (above). That means whatever left after "pid=".
    For example for this case, the output filename would be "1-s2.0-S0924424705006436-file.pdf"

I want to include this in the wget command, since for some files, since the length of the filename is too long, it can not save it on the hard disk.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by Si1414; April 5th, 2013 at 09:04 PM. Reason: Solved!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: wget rename output file

Hi Si1414.

I do several downloads that way. What I do is to use a little bash scripting to read every line so I can use wget's -O option to rename the output:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

while read -r link
    do
            output="${link##*pid=}"

echo wget "$link" -O "$output"

done < ./slist.txt
    Note that in this example I'm not actually downloading, but just echoing the command. Try it, and when you feel comfortable remove the word echo.

If the files are fairly big, or you have an not-so-stable connections, I would also advice to use a cycle in case 'wget' fails:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash

while read -r link
    do
            output="${link##*pid=}"

echo wget -c "$link" -O "$output"
            until [ $? = 0 ]
            do
            done

done < ./slist.txt
    Hope it helps. Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Thank you papibe for your great help.
    The first code works perfect, however, the second one seems stay in the loop and not save the file. However, the first one solved my problem.

In the same concept, if the output filename is:

"99284351.pdf@tp=&filename=1284351&indexfile=68896"

I want to save the output file to:
    "99284351.pdf"
    This means whatever is left after ".pdf" should be removed.

How to modify the first code you sent to perform this?

Thank you for your help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Si1414 View Post
    "99284351.pdf@tp=&filename=1284351&indexfile=68896"

I want to save the output file to:
    "99284351.pdf"
    In the previous expression:
    Code:
    output="${link##*pid=}"
    '##' that means remove the biggest match for '*pid=' from the beginning.

In order to remove from the end, use '%%'. For example:
    Code:
    output="${link%%.pdf*}"
    However, since even '.pdf' is getting removed, you need to add it back. This should work:
    Code:
    output="${link%%.pdf*}".pdf
    Note that this would work if all urls have the same format. If you have a mix of the first case and the second one, it would be necessary to add more code to test for each case.

Does that help? Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Thank you papibe again for your help. However, it seems that I have a problem here. I am using the following code:

Code:
    while read -r link
    do
            output="${link%%.pdf*}".pdf
            wget -nc -r -l1 -p "$link" -O "$output"
    done < ./ilist2.txt
    It gives the following warning:
    "WARNING: combining -O with -r or -p will mean that all downloaded content will be placed in the single file you specified."

I need to use -r -l1 -p to download, because each links inside "ilist2.txt" does not contain only the address to a single pdf file. But, they also contain other addresses, such as gif and jsp files as well. That is why I use -r -l1 -p to download all of them. I delete gif and jsp files later and keep the pdf file.

However, it seems that I can not use that method anymore, because of the -O command.

To solve the above problem, if I can filter the pdf URL, I think the problem would be solved. That means, wget only downloads one URL which is the pdf URL and not the gif and jsp files.
    The pdf URLs have the "pdf" word in common, which might be useful for filtration. For example, a sample link is:

Code:
    http://amazon.com/temp3/35/569018/99284351.pdf@tp=&filename=1284351&indexfile=68896
    I am wondering if it is possible to place the above filter for the wget inside the while loop? In that case, wget opens each link inside ilist2.txt and search for the pdf URL inside it and downloads only that pdf file and saves it with -O command, and then opens the next link inside ilist2.txt, and searches for the pdf file and so on.

Thank you very much indeed again for your help.
    Last edited by Si1414; April 4th, 2013 at 09:32 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

You could filter the lines containing 'pdf' outside the loop:
    Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    while read -r link
    do
            http_strip="${link##*/}"
            output="${http_strip%%.pdf*}".pdf

done < <(grep \.pdf ./slist.txt)
    That would work for addresses formated as the second example.

Let us know how it goes.
    Regards.

Beans

Thank You very much papibe for your help.