Thread: Which distro is compatible with most computers?(and other usb questions)

Beans

Which distro is compatible with most computers?(and other usb questions)

I installed Ubuntu 12.10 on my 8gb usb and it loads very slowly on my desktop, then the screen continues to flicker, is this because I use a Nvidia gtx 550 Ti? On my inspiron dell laptop it loads, although it doesn't allow me to search wifi networks. I tried it again at school but got an error saying the kernel was incompatible with the processor because it didn't support pae. This confused me the most because it is an intel i5 like my desktop at home, although at school I think it is an older version (my desktop is ivy bridge).

Would it be better to use a different distro that is compatible with more computers ?
    Do I need to install graphics/wifi drivers to get it to work on my computers at home?

This is the site I used to create my usb key http://www.linuxliveusb.com/
    If you have any answers to my above questions, I implore you to share your knowledge as I am new to linux, but would like to learn. Thank you

Beans

Re: Which distro is compatible with most computers?(and other usb questions)

Technically, Ubuntu is the most compatible desktop of all Linux Distros. As to the Graphics, install the nvidia driver. You can select it in the "Software Sources" window on the "Additional Drivers" tab. The school PC likely wants a 64Bit version of Ubuntu, 32Bit needs PAE which is neglected on modern CPU's. Wireless may be found in the same "Additional Drivers" tab. I hope I helped.

As to other Distros, there is Linux Mint which is more friendly, but still Ubuntu Based. there is Fedora with great network support but takes time and work to set up, OpenSUSE is rock stable, but finicky in my tests.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Which distro is compatible with most computers?(and other usb questions)

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    The school PC likely wants a 64Bit version of Ubuntu
    A 64 bit computer normally runs a 32 and a 64 bit Buntu equally well, though there is a difference in performance. Only problems related to UEFI / Restricted Boot can force people to choose 64 bit.

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    32Bit needs PAE which is neglected on modern CPU's.
    PAE is available on all 32 bit computers younger than around 15 years with very few exceptions.
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts