Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Filesystem root out of space after upgrade to 12.04

Beans

Filesystem root out of space after upgrade to 12.04

I have successfully upgraded to 12.04 but now receive warning messages that the root is running out of space, having left only some 270MB. I am surprised about that message becasue I have allocated almost 12GB to root. Further, the Disk Usage Analyzer (see screenshot) indeed says that 100% of / are used whereas GParted (see other screenshot) says that there are >3GB unused space (of a total of >11GB). The Disk Usage Analyzer also says that 91% of my /home are used whereas GParted shows 105GB unused space (of a total of 180GB).

What do I miss? Does anybody have a similar problem? Can anybody help?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Filesystem root out of space after upgrade to 12.04

arno77; Hi !

Drop down to a lower level for a closer inspection. What do the terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo du -h /root
    du -h /boot
    df -i
    show for file system and inode usage ?

that should tell the tale
    THE current(cy) in Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/PopularPages

Happy ubutu'n !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I think that you will find that Disk Usage Analyser shows / folder to have 100% usage for everybody. It just does that. It does on my system using 13.04 and if I was to boot into 12.04 or 12.10 on my machine it will say the same even though the partitions are different sizes.

Also I think that you are missing (to use your words) the fact that Disk Usage Analyser is measuring the /home folder under / folder and not the usage on your /home partition. I know that you have just upgraded to 12.04 but I can tell you that Disk Usage Analyser in 13.04 lets us select which partition to analyse. And it shows the correct usage for mounted partitions.

But nontheless, you are getting a warning message. Ubuntu likes to run with spare capacity. I think that whatever is sending out that warning message is including set aside spare capacity. The upgrade process should have removed the old kernels from whatever you upgraded from. Old kernels can pile up and take some space. But not in this case I think. When was the last time you emptied the Rubbish bin?

Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I concur that you're reading the baobab output wrong. Also, 12 GiB isn't that much these days. You have a bunch of free space in your /home partition though, so you can use GParted to shrink that partition and expand your / partition. 25 GiB would probably be fine, but 50 might be better. You can't fiddle with / on a running system, though, so you'll need to use either the Ubuntu cd or a GParted cd to do the operation. You'll also probably need to turn off swap.

EDIT: @grahammechanical Upgrading the OS doesn't remove old kernels in case the installation process goes pear-shaped. That needs to be done manually once you've verified that the new system is working.
    Last edited by CatKiller; April 3rd, 2013 at 12:41 AM.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Beans
    Distro

+1 for dumping all the old kernels, they're about 100MB each. Also if you've just done an upgrade you may well have a ton of packages sitting in your APT cache. Try running:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bashing-om View Post
    arno77; Hi !

Drop down to a lower level for a closer inspection. What do the terminal commands:
    Code:
    sudo du -h /root
    du -h /boot
    df -i
    show for file system and inode usage ?

that should tell the tale
    hi Bahing-om thanks for your reply! here the outputs produced by the commands

arno@tantalus-laptop:~$ sudo du -h /root
    [sudo] password for arno:
    796K /root/.synaptic/log
    4.0K /root/.synaptic/tmp
    812K /root/.synaptic
    4.0K /root/.wapi
    24K /root/.local/share/webkit/icondatabase
    28K /root/.local/share/webkit
    76K /root/.local/share/gvfs-metadata
    112K /root/.local/share
    116K /root/.local
    4.0K /root/.aptitude
    4.6M /root/.rpmdb
    4.0K /root/.gconfd
    4.0K /root/.gnome2/accels
    12K /root/.gnome2
    4.0K /root/.pulse
    4.0K /root/.debtags
    4.0K /root/.gnome2_private
    4.0K /root/.gconf
    4.0K /root/.config/ibus/bus
    8.0K /root/.config/ibus
    4.0K /root/.config/ubuntu-tweak/temp
    8.0K /root/.config/ubuntu-tweak
    8.0K /root/.config/gtk-2.0
    4.0K /root/.config/enchant
    32K /root/.config
    8.0K /root/.dbus/session-bus
    12K /root/.dbus
    4.0K /root/.gvfs
    4.0K /root/.cache/dconf
    8.0K /root/.cache
    5.6M /root

arno@tantalus-laptop:~$ du -h /boot
    16K /boot/grub/locale
    4.3M /boot/grub
    48M /boot

arno@tantalus-laptop:~$ df -i
    Filesystem Inodes IUsed IFree IUse% Mounted on
    /dev/sda5 732960 274438 458522 38% /
    udev 205424 576 204848 1% /dev
    tmpfs 210520 535 209985 1% /run
    none 210520 4 210516 1% /run/lock
    none 210520 6 210514 1% /run/shm
    /dev/sda6 11845632 98564 11747068 1% /home

Beans

Thanks!

As far as I can see from checking synapic package manager the old kernels have been removed. So that shouldn't cause the problem. But I haven't emptied the Rubbish bin for a while. Will do that and see if it helps.

Thansk also for clarifying what Disk Usage Analyser shows. Did indeed nto get that.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CatKiller View Post
    I concur that you're reading the baobab output wrong. Also, 12 GiB isn't that much these days. You have a bunch of free space in your /home partition though, so you can use GParted to shrink that partition and expand your / partition. 25 GiB would probably be fine, but 50 might be better. You can't fiddle with / on a running system, though, so you'll need to use either the Ubuntu cd or a GParted cd to do the operation. You'll also probably need to turn off swap.

EDIT: @grahammechanical Upgrading the OS doesn't remove old kernels in case the installation process goes pear-shaped. That needs to be done manually once you've verified that the new system is working.
    Thanks for your reply, but what do you mean with "baobab"?

Its right 12GB is't that much but still there are 3GB left and the warning message says that only a few (hundred) MBs are left. Where does this difference come from. I know that I could increase the space of the / partition but would prefer another solution before fiddling aoround with partitions. Also hadn't any problem before the upgrade.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    +1 for dumping all the old kernels, they're about 100MB each. Also if you've just done an upgrade you may well have a ton of packages sitting in your APT cache. Try running:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get clean
    hi and thanks for the tip.

I've run "clean". We'll see if it helps.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by arno77 View Post
    Thanks for your reply, but what do you mean with "baobab"?
    It's the tool that's displayed as Disk Usage Analyser.
    None but ourselves can free our minds

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast