Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need help with dual booting Puppy Linux alongside Ubuntu 12.04

Beans

Need help with dual booting Puppy Linux alongside Ubuntu 12.04

Okay, so I have been crawling around the forums for days now trying to find a solution to my problem. It should be noted I am fairly new to linux and will need step by step noob instructions most likely. If you need any more information from me, don't hesitate to ask. I have 2 partitions set on my rather small hdd. 4gb set for Puppy Linux at /dev/sda3 (ext3) and my main partition has Ubuntu installed /dev/sda1 (ext4). I am having trouble dual booting with puppy linux. I have installed Puppy Linux on the partitoin sda3 with a usb boot disk I created with unetbootin. After referring to this article:http://blog.kreatx.com/2011/12/16/du...x-with-ubuntu/ I followed all the steps (although had some issues with vim so i just manually edited the files) and have messed with my grub file in /boot/grub/grub.cfg (mostly changing the lines concerning Puppy Linux, changing the (hdo,msdos1) to match the lines with the msdosX to ubuntu's like the article mentioned to do) Now when I boot up I want to have the option to go into ubuntu or puppy linux, however, when I try to do this I get a message that says error: file not found, error:you need to load the kernel first. Can someone give me step-by-step instructions of what I need to edited in the /boot/grub/grub.cfg file or /etc/grub.d/07_Puppy file in order to allow me to choose whether to boot ubuntu or puppy linux at start-up?

Here is /boot/grub/grub.cfg:

Code:
    #
    # DO NOT EDIT THIS FILE
    #
    # It is automatically generated by grub-mkconfig using templates
    # from /etc/grub.d and settings from /etc/default/grub
    #

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/00_header ###
    if [ -s $prefix/grubenv ]; then
      set have_grubenv=true
      load_env
    fi
    set default="0"
    if [ "${prev_saved_entry}" ]; then
      set saved_entry="${prev_saved_entry}"
      save_env saved_entry
      set prev_saved_entry=
      save_env prev_saved_entry
      set boot_once=true
    fi

function savedefault {
      if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then
        saved_entry="${chosen}"
        save_env saved_entry
      fi
    }

function recordfail {
      set recordfail=1
      if [ -n "${have_grubenv}" ]; then if [ -z "${boot_once}" ]; then save_env recordfail; fi; fi
    }

function load_video {
      insmod vbe
      insmod vga
      insmod video_bochs
      insmod video_cirrus
    }

insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
    search --no-floppy --fs-uuid --set=root 286587b3-9072-442c-8572-84dfe639fa87
    if loadfont /usr/share/grub/unicode.pf2 ; then
      set gfxmode=auto
      load_video
      insmod gfxterm
      insmod part_msdos
      insmod ext2
      set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
      set locale_dir=($root)/boot/grub/locale
      set lang=en_US
      insmod gettext
    fi
    terminal_output gfxterm
    if [ "${recordfail}" = 1 ]; then
      set timeout=-1
    else
      set timeout=10
    fi
    ### END /etc/grub.d/00_header ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###
    set menu_color_normal=white/black
    set menu_color_highlight=black/light-gray
    ### END /etc/grub.d/05_debian_theme ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/07_puppy ###
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries.  Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment.  Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry 'Puppy Linux' --class puppy --class gnu-linux --class os {
      set root=(hd0,msdos1)
      linux /puppy/vmlinuz
      initrd /puppy/initrd.gz
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/07_puppy ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###
    function gfxmode {
        set gfxpayload="${1}"
        if [ "${1}" = "keep" ]; then
            set vt_handoff=vt.handoff=7
        else
            set vt_handoff=
        fi
    }
    if [ "${recordfail}" != 1 ]; then
      if [ -e ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt ]; then
        if hwmatch ${prefix}/gfxblacklist.txt 3; then
          if [ ${match} = 0 ]; then
            set linux_gfx_mode=keep
          else
            set linux_gfx_mode=text
          fi
        else
          set linux_gfx_mode=text
        fi
      else
        set linux_gfx_mode=keep
      fi
    else
      set linux_gfx_mode=text
    fi
    export linux_gfx_mode
    if [ "${linux_gfx_mode}" != "text" ]; then load_video; fi
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        gfxmode $linux_gfx_mode
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-39-generic-pae root=UUID=286587b3-9072-442c-8572-84dfe639fa87 ro   quiet splash $vt_handoff
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-39-generic-pae
    }
    menuentry 'Ubuntu, with Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae (recovery mode)' --class ubuntu --class gnu-linux --class gnu --class os {
        recordfail
        insmod gzio
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
        echo    'Loading Linux 3.2.0-39-generic-pae ...'
        linux    /boot/vmlinuz-3.2.0-39-generic-pae root=UUID=286587b3-9072-442c-8572-84dfe639fa87 ro recovery nomodeset 
        echo    'Loading initial ramdisk ...'
        initrd    /boot/initrd.img-3.2.0-39-generic-pae
    }
    ### END /etc/grub.d/10_linux ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###
    ### END /etc/grub.d/20_linux_xen ###

### BEGIN /etc/grub.d/20_memtest86+ ###
    menuentry "Memory test (memtest86+)" {
        insmod part_msdos
        insmod ext2
        set root='(hd0,msdos1)'
        linux16    /boot/memtest86+.bin
    }
    Here is /etc/grub.d/07_puppy:

#!/bin/sh
    exec tail -n +3 $0
    # This file provides an easy way to add custom menu entries. Simply type the
    # menu entries you want to add after this comment. Be careful not to change
    # the 'exec tail' line above.
    menuentry 'Puppy Linux' --class puppy --class gnu-linux --class os {
    set root=(hd0,msdos1)
    linux /puppy/vmlinuz
    initrd /puppy/initrd.gz
    }

If you need any more info let me know. Thanks for taking the time to read this, I hope someone can help me solve this!
    Last edited by oldfred; April 2nd, 2013 at 05:06 PM. Reason: Added code tags (# in Advanced edit menu)

Beans

Re: Need help with dual booting Puppy Linux alongside Ubuntu 12.04

You are not supposed to install Puppy Linux. It's supposed to be on flash or CD. Puppy Linux is not your typical Linux distro and dosen't follow the rules. It's not designed to dual boot, not designed load with grub, not designed to be installed.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I installed Puppy a long time ago. And this was my entry in muy 40_custom which was in sdc12 (hd3,12) as I was booting from sdd which was hd0.
    If your install is in sda3, your set root cannot be to sda1, should be (hd0,3) or (hd0,msdos3).

You need to verify filename and paths in your install of Puppy, but as it will not be the same as my old install. And you should be able to find the boot options it uses by looking in its boot stanza. I typically open the CD and find the grub, syslinux or lilo boot configure files to know what parameters to use. And to find the paths and exact names of kernel & initrd.

menuentry "Puppy 511" {
    insmod part_msdos
    insmod ext2
    set root='(hd3,msdos12)'
    linux /boot/lupu511/vmlinuz root=/dev/ram0 pmedia=atahd loglevel=7 pkeys=us
    initrd /boot/lupu511/initrd.gz
    }
    For more info on UEFI boot install & repair - Regularly Updated :
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to change to [Solved] when/if answered completely.

Beans

So, why does it give you the option to install on the hdd? I know it is a smaller distro, but I wanted it to be a lightweight os that was easier on my system resources. Thanks for your response, but there must be some way to dual boot with Puppy Linux, as I have seen multiple threads where people have done exactly this. So my question remains: How can I dual boot Puppy Linux alongside Ubuntu?
    Last edited by mrdiabolilc; April 2nd, 2013 at 05:17 PM.

Beans

The install to HDD is an experimental feature that comes with a warning which you had to of seen when selecting the option. Thats also the reason why an article exists to hack grub into loading Puppy Linux.

Normally, I like to suggest Puppy Linux, but in your case, you can do better. Haven't you tried Lubuntu? It lightweight and is more mainstream than Puppy. Puppy is usually meant for very old PC's, even Lubuntu will fly on a P4.

Beans

In fact that is the distro I am on right now! Lubuntu is fantastic, however, I am trying to run a particularly resource intensive vidya game on my old laptop and am having issues. I was hoping Puppy Linux could help resolve this.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    I installed Puppy a long time ago. And this was my entry in muy 40_custom which was in sdc12 (hd3,12) as I was booting from sdd which was hd0.
    If your install is in sda3, your set root cannot be to sda1, should be (hd0,3) or (hd0,msdos3).

You need to verify filename and paths in your install of Puppy, but as it will not be the same as my old install. And you should be able to find the boot options it uses by looking in its boot stanza. I typically open the CD and find the grub, syslinux or lilo boot configure files to know what parameters to use. And to find the paths and exact names of kernel & initrd.
    Fred, I edited my /etc/grub.d/07_puppy file and set root to msdos3 like you suggested and then in terminal ran grub-update and it corrected the root on the lines with puppy linux. However, I am not sure what to do about the second part of your post. I have the live usb disk for Puppy Linux. Are you suggesting I run it live and search for something. Again I apologize for being such a noob, but can you be more specific as to what I should do?

Beans

Puppy cannot run complex games. Its meant to be self contained and only run programs in the form of "puplets" It can install packages like a normal Linux distro, but only simple ones or if you provide all the packages. Thing is, Puppy is so simple, it's the equivalent to Windows 98 in terms of features and what it can do.

What PC do you have? You might just need drivers for the graphics card.

Edit: Puppy Linux is designed to be as stable as possible while using as few packages as possible. So it can be limited and outdated in places. Also, Puppy always runs as root which can leave you open to attack.
    Last edited by ManamiVixen; April 2nd, 2013 at 05:43 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ManamiVixen View Post
    Puppy cannot run complex games. Its meant to be self contained and only run programs in the form of "puplets" It can install packages like a normal Linux distro, but only simple ones or if you provide all the packages. Thing is, Puppy is so simple, it's the equivalent to Windows 98 in terms of features and what it can do.

What PC do you have? You might just need drivers for the graphics card.

Edit: Puppy Linux is designed to be as stable as possible while using as few packages as possible. So it can be limited and outdated in places. Also, Puppy always runs as root which can leave you open to attack.
    You're absolutely right, I have no drivers installed since I have switched to lubuntu/ubuntu as I have a dell laptop (Inspiron B130) and their drivers on the website are all .exe files. I have found another site which supports linux and dell drivers, however, I have not been able to find my specific drivers on there. I am positive this would resolve many of my issues, yet cannot figure out how to install these drivers on linux distro. If you could help with that you would be a lifesaver!

Concerning the Puppy Linux issue, the game I am trying to run is in java, not sure if that makes a difference in whether or not it would run it.

Beans

Looked up the PC, all drivers should be installed already as they are included in the Linux Kernel. As to getting Java to run, there is a PPA that provides it in Lubuntu.

"sudo add-apt-repository -y ppa:webupd8team/java"
    "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install oracle-java7-installer"

That will install Java and now any java game should run.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast