Thread: widgets in the top bar?

Beans

widgets in the top bar?

Hello! I have seen other people with cool widgets, like for CPU usage and also a pair of eyes that follow your cursor around. How can I install those? Using 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: widgets in the top bar?

I think you've just seen some old screenshots of Gnome 2, which is a dead desktop environment. The Gnome 3 and Unity desktops don't support these frills for a number of reasons.

You can get CPU usage in your top panel by using System Monitor Indicator (indicator-sysmonitor package), and there are a few other indicators available, but nothing with eyes or other kinds of graphics.
    I try to treat the cause, not the symptom. I avoid the terminal in instructions, unless it's easier or necessary. My instructions will work within the Ubuntu system, instead of breaking or subverting it. Those are the three guarantees to the helpee.

Beans

The Gnome 2 desktop is still alive as a fork, called MATE. It's not and official Ubuntu desktop, but it can easily be installed on Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    I think you've just seen some old screenshots of Gnome 2, which is a dead desktop environment. The Gnome 3 and Unity desktops don't support these frills for a number of reasons.

You can get CPU usage in your top panel by using System Monitor Indicator (indicator-sysmonitor package), and there are a few other indicators available, but nothing with eyes or other kinds of graphics.
    Ahhh, I see. I've tried a couple different things but can't figure out how to install that. Could you explain a bit more? Thank you.

Beans

See here for a list of Application Indicators For Unity

Beans

Just what I was looking for, thanks!!