Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High-End Ubuntu Laptop

Beans

Re: High-End Ubuntu Laptop

While I haven't tried one, if I had the need today I would probably buy a Dell XPS Developer Edition with Ubuntu 12.04 pre-installed and tweaked for the hardware (mentioned above already): http://www.dell.com/us/soho/p/xps-13-linux/pd

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I am a total Chrome OS fanboy and I will tell you that while the Pixel is an amazing computer it is probably not a good system to target unless you are sold on the Google online platform and are sure that it will meet all your business needs. I personally believe the Cloud is going to be the way things get done in the corporate world in the future but it is still very much in its infancy.

I'm not generally a fan of OS X, but MacBooks are worth a look for sure if you are expense accounting them. Especially if showing flashy hardware will potentially influence clients in your favor. I think the suggestion of checking out the ThinkPads is a very good idea. Lenovo builds excellent workplace computers and there is a very helpful forum that you can turn to with questions, though I find that there aren't to many Linux experts there.
    We're alike, me and cat. A couple of poor nameless slobs. -- Holly Golightly

Beans

What about Asus ?? Is Asus ubuntu friendly ???

I hear its no 3 after Lenovo ...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by arunb View Post
    What about Asus ??

I hear its no 3 after Lenovo ...
    Yes Asus also makes well built laptops, I forgot about that one. Some models also have dual HDD bays so you can have a SSD for OS and big HDD for storage.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    Doing a google though and finding out which laptops FULLY support ubuntu is not hard... and gives you a massive range of choice.
    that's true.

however it might not help much.

i went to a tech mall in Asia once. was expecting older models, but they had mostly new stuff. and plenty of it. took some price list home with me and went to google the models (looking for netbook or small highly portable ).

most models didn't fully work. some worked partially, some worked with workarrounds but not with all features, some were fully supported but had crappy battery, some worked, but had battery drain or were overheating in linux or had fans runnign wild all the time, some worked but had RAM soldered to MB and could not be upgraded, some were even Ubuntu preloaded (Dell) but had poor batery time and were heavy, some were expencive due to the brand name (i guess). most came with no OS preinstalled. becuase when you bought it they would install the OS (if you wanted it).

in the end it all came down to only two models. spent a lot of time searching and reading reviews. both models did not have USB 3.0. One had a poor battery but good build, was a bit heavier. the other one came windows 7 starter preinstalled, was light and thin (build is not so good), extra strong battery, ram upgradable to 8 GB. and it's the one i took. i am happy with it. but it came with win7 and it took me a long time to find it. so now i am using the windows on it. i plan to add Kubuntu 64bit to it and go for max ram. starter is way too limiting and doesn't even belong on this thing (home version would be better). but i think it might be usefull to me as i still have certain programmes that need windows and XP's life is running out.

and while searching (and spending too much time on that) i found that ubuntu certified list is crappy as it mostly had older models that were not sold anymore. so i had to rely on personal opinions and report from users of various forums.
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by dodo3773 View Post
    I've been happy with system76. Haven't had any problems with them yet. Probably go with them for my next build too.
    I'd suggest that you also take a look at ZaReason, whose URL is:

https://zareason.com/shop/home.php

Their business philosophy strikes me as admirable, and I've heard only good things about their machines.

Beans

I'd suggest that you also take a look at ZaReason, whose URL is:
    Just did a quick scan of their products.... that is truly awesome! I neaver heard of them before, thanks so much for posting.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kungfupete View Post
    Just did a quick scan of their products.... that is truly awesome! I neaver heard of them before, thanks so much for posting.

+1

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by knowledgequest View Post
    We use lots of Lenovo [..]
    Just btw., there are a lot of i3 and i5 (Ivy Bridge!) laptops and ultrabooks on the market atm., which aren't astronomical in cost (any longer!..:)); and not just Lenovo. For example:

• Toshiba Satellite C875-S7132NR
    • Toshiba Satellite C855-2G8
    • ASUS ZENBOOK UX21A
    • ASUS ZENBOOK UX21E
    • ASUS ZENBOOK UX31E
    • HP Pavilion Sleekbook 15-b000sm (C6K10EA)

^ Just to list a few.

=)

PS.
    Only models with Intel HD 4000 graphics should be considered, really; especially seeing how Haswell will come out soon.

Beans

The Dell XPS 13 https://www.dell.com/uk/business/p/x...d=xps-13-linux seems to have a good review via The Register (UK) http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/04...putnik_review/ although as always one or two thinks could be better.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12