Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suggestions for a childrens point and click adventure game?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Question Suggestions for a childrens point and click adventure game?

I've just finished playing Machinarium and my six year old really enjoyed trying out some of the levels. It's a bit dark for what I want her doing though and there was some content I don't want her to see, such as characters smoking and some aggression between characters. The beauty of it is that there was no text to read, unlike say Out Of Order, which has the overall feel I'm looking for.

Any suggestions for something very simple that a six year old child could enjoy?

Beans

Re: Suggestions for a childrens point and click adventure game?

check out the edubuntu package . lots of games and educational stuff. ive installed it for 5-7 yr olds and they have a blast. has things up thru HS. also qimo .
    The only dumb question is the one not asked.

In service to the Dream

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Not sure if this classifies as point and click or adventure, but you might want to try Frozen Bubble. Also, Supertux (Super Mario-like game) and Supertuxkart must be appropriate for a six year old child (and I think they classify as adventure). When she's a bit older you might want to try Enigma (very fun and educational game that stimulates curiosity, memory and intelligence).

Regards.

Beans

I would look at the LucasArt adventure games for SCUMM but then again I think they are a bit to advanced for someone of that age. You can get them from GOG. There's also lots of stuff you could probably run via emulation for consoles, Amiga etc. Also check out the abandonware sites.

Beans
    Distro

stalkingwolf, thanks. I have the edubuntu stuff like tuxpaint, tuxtyping and tuxkart installed as well as some coloring games. She loves them.
    odiseo77, thank you. I'm trying to avoid the games that require quick reflexes and raise stress levels even if only slightly. But I remember being an Enigma addict in 2004 when I discovered it. Great game. My housemate had his nokia phone working as a bluetooth controller for the cursor too and used to play it from across the room!
    mips, emulation is a good idea. That will give me more options, thank you.

In the mean-time. I have found a website called www.starfall.com that has some really great and educational content for kids.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

The authors of Machinarium made another full length game called Botanicula: http://botanicula.net/

monkeybrain2012 is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans

How about letting your kid going out to play with friends under the sun and smell the grass and flowers? I think it is depressing that kids are taught to comatose in front of a computer screen at such young age while they should be out playing,

Beans
    Distro

tartalo, thank you. That looks like one I might enjoy It's not really suitable for her though (some of the characters look menacing). I guess the educational games are the way to go.

monkeybrain, you are making a lot of assumptions there given you know absolutely nothing about me, this child or our environment. I think it's a shame you weren't taught to be more open-minded.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hi,

I just also found Botanicula http://amanita-design.net/games/botanicula.html, but it requires Adobe AIR, which is not supported for Linux anymore. That's quite sad. Does it make sense to pay for the game if you are unsure if the game runs on Linux?

Antti
    Last edited by antti64; April 13th, 2013 at 10:41 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by antti64 View Post
    Hi,

I just also found Botanicula http://amanita-design.net/games/botanicula.html, but it requires Adobe AIR, which is not supported for Linux anymore. That's quite sad. Does it make sense to pay for the game if you are unsure if the game runs on Linux?

Antti
    On the web site beside "Buy This Game", it says " PC+Mac+Linux+Soundtrack". It must work.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast