Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "iMac G3 for Dummies"

Beans

Re: "iMac G3 for Dummies"

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    Just a thought: wouldn't having "ATI" in your sample config in the original post make it more universal? On the very few I've tested, it auto detects R128 fine.
    Yep, to be honest I had forgotten there were non r128 imacs until yesterday. Will change when I get around to uploading a new file. Do you know if the other bits have to stay the same?

Btw, the aty framebuffer is not built in so you have to manually modprobe it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...rnel_module.3F . Dunno if that will make a difference performance wise?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana Tovarisch View Post
    I'm not booting from a hard drive, I'm booting from USB, which worked fine with Debian mini.iso but it doesn't seem to be working with the Ubuntu ones, I've tried DD'ing 12.04 LTS twice onto it now with the same results, stuck at "Calling quiesce...", no "prom_init", no splash screen. Is there any other ISO I should try or do I really have to burn a whopping 29mb onto a full blank CD-R?
    @ST:

I'm not sure that the source of what you are trying to boot from would matter in terms of hardware issues. a KP is a KP by any other name. But, let's say I'm wrong and all is well in your hardware, there still might be room for comment on the procedure front; i.e., if something isn't working, repeating it with expectation of different outcome . . . is not likely to result in anything more than . . . what you got before . . . and might indicate the need for trying something else. Personally the USB approach seemed to have more steps than the CD/DVD way, since you've tried the USB way a number of times, yes, why not burn a CD--but, note that str8bs has given the link to the ALTERNATE installer a few times, I would suggest trying that way and see if you get a different outcome. I've used the CD-RW and I've burned and erased a number of times, better than CD-R . . . . I don't know the details, but if the data isn't on the CD it would have to be downloaded and installed anyway, the more stuff that is on the CD the better I feel??? But it also seems that the alternate installer seems to have better installs, I did the recent Xubuntu 12.04 savage .iso using the Desktop installer, and there was a glitch using "install manually" which is mentioned in the FAQ, so after a few tries and failing I tried something different and chose the "automatic" "install next to other OS" option, avenue of least resistance, requiring no skilz from me . . . I crossed my fingers, whispered a prayer to the God of my choosing . . . and it worked. I would try the Alternate 12.04 (LTS) installer for the machine that you have . . . from CD-R(RW) and see how that goes for you . . . .

e.e.p.
    Last edited by este.el.paz; April 7th, 2013 at 04:59 PM. Reason: + "is"

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    Yep, to be honest I had forgotten there were non r128 imacs until yesterday. Will change when I get around to uploading a new file. Do you know if the other bits have to stay the same?

Btw, the aty framebuffer is not built in so you have to manually modprobe it https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCFAQ#H...rnel_module.3F . Dunno if that will make a difference performance wise?
    this model iMAC 333 256 MB RAM

http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl.../imac_333.html

no manually probe need

and the xorg.conf is

Section "Device"
    Identifier "Configured Video Device"
    Driver "ati"
    Option "ForcePCIMode" "True"
    EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier "Configured Monitor"
    HorizSync 58-62
    VertRefresh 75-117
    EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier "Default Screen"
    Monitor "Configured Monitor"
    Device "Configured Video Device"
    DefaultDepth 24
    EndSection

and i recomend DefaultDepth same as OSX or OS 9 (16 is ok too ) i had some display issue when the DefaultDepth is not same as MAC OS

this system is build from mini iso 12.04 and LXDE desktop etc etc
    and updated 2013 04 07

Beans

@abtabt Thanks! Long story short, a dremel tool will be required before I can resume testing the two 333's I currently have here.

If you have time, could you:
    1. Check Xorg.0.log and confirm driver used. I think those use mach64 for the Rage (Not 128) series?
    2. Confirm that "forcePCImode" is necessary? If so, that would indicate the bug requiring that workaround is not driver (R128) but something in uninorth or kernel?
    3. Same for monitor section. EDID scans default to wrong resolution so blank screen without restricting HorizSync and VertRefresh.
    4. Curious if you are able to get old mesa DRI loaded with or without "forcePCImode". From what I've read, I don't think it was ever supported on cards with less than 9MB at color depth over 16 so you would have to test at lower depth than 24.

Beans

The 12.10 mini iso boots fine, but the installation halts after trying to download the release notes, leaving me with an empty purple background.

EDIT: I'm sorry, nevermind. The installation had indeed halted for several minutes without any message but after leaving it on for a while it suddenly started loading the additional components. I'll report back once the installation is finished.
    Last edited by Svetlana Tovarisch; April 7th, 2013 at 08:51 PM.

Beans

Well.. I finally got the whole Xubuntu package installed and xorg.conf in place.. The system takes a considerably long time to boot (compared to Debian and even OS X 10.4.11), landing me in a login screen that only displays me a garbled error message for a fraction of a second before throwing me back onto it whenever i try to login, and before that the console login would also hang for longer than usual, longer than the delay it halts for when I mistype my password. So all in all, not functional.

What did I do wrong and what can I do to fix it?

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

I had mixed luck with XFCE on PPC back when I tried it. It was a good while back, though. The way I might recommend would be to start from the Lubuntu Alternate PPC installer for 12.04 or 12.10 and work up from that. You can then get Xubuntu from the package xubuntu-desktop.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    @abtabt Thanks! Long story short, a dremel tool will be required before I can resume testing the two 333's I currently have here.

If you have time, could you:
    1. Check Xorg.0.log and confirm driver used. I think those use mach64 for the Rage (Not 128) series?
    2. Confirm that "forcePCImode" is necessary? If so, that would indicate the bug requiring that workaround is not driver (R128) but something in uninorth or kernel?
    3. Same for monitor section. EDID scans default to wrong resolution so blank screen without restricting HorizSync and VertRefresh.
    4. Curious if you are able to get old mesa DRI loaded with or without "forcePCImode". From what I've read, I don't think it was ever supported on cards with less than 9MB at color depth over 16 so you would have to test at lower depth than 24.

1. true mach64 is used

39.398] (II) LoadModule: "ati"
    [ 39.416] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/ati_drv.so
    [ 39.417] (II) Module ati: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ 39.417] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 6.14.99
    [ 39.417] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [ 39.418] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
    [ 39.418] (II) LoadModule: "mach64"
    [ 39.424] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mach64_drv.so
    [ 39.425] (II) Module mach64: vendor="X.Org Foundation"
    [ 39.426] compiled for 1.11.3, module version = 6.9.0
    [ 39.426] Module class: X.Org Video Driver
    [ 39.426] ABI class: X.Org Video Driver, version 11.0
    [ 39.426] (II) MACH64: Driver for ATI Mach64 chipsets
    [ 39.426] (++) using VT number 7

[ 39.459] (II) Loading /usr/lib/xorg/modules/drivers/mach64_drv.so
    [ 39.462] (II) MACH64(0): Creating default Display subsection in Screen section
    "Default Screen" for depth/fbbpp 24/32
    [ 39.462] (**) MACH64(0): Depth 24, (--) framebuffer bpp 32
    [ 39.462] (**) MACH64(0): Option "force_pci_mode" "True"
    [ 39.463] (==) MACH64(0): Using XAA acceleration architecture

2. "forcePCImode" is not necessary

3. if no HorizSync VertRefresh in xorg.conf then black

4, haven't tried yet

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lars Noodén View Post
    I had mixed luck with XFCE on PPC back when I tried it. It was a good while back, though. The way I might recommend would be to start from the Lubuntu Alternate PPC installer for 12.04 or 12.10 and work up from that. You can then get Xubuntu from the package xubuntu-desktop.
    That's what I did, although with Xubuntu 12.10 alternate (which didn't install X or any other package at all because the package selection screen skipped a few seconds after i just started reading it for no reason and I had to apt-get the packages later, and the system was already quite sluggish boot-wise by then), and it isn't usable at all. Xubuntu isn't working properly and the login times are annoying, while Debian 6 worked fine except for no hardware acceleration.

Beans

@rsavage - aty128fb added to modules and init didn't change performance, but the splash screen tip works great.

@abtabt - Thanks for taking the time.

@Svetlana - We need to make sure we are looking "apples to apples." (pun intended) When you were at low GLXgears numbers in Debian, what color depth were you at? Was DRI enabled? Not likely as the numbers you gave are likely software rendering. We could try looking at some logs. Just a suggestion, you may want to start a thread with your machine and video card in the title. I only say that as it might help others with the same hardware more easily find the information. You could post them here too if you want. Look for the same dmesg and Xorg.0.log information as in the other thread I linked. Specific to getting Mesa 3d (glxgears increase) working on yours, I only have ideas of some things to try and can't guaranty getting you to that goal. There is obviously something in the 12.04 kernel (mini iso) that doesn't agree with your hardware that is not present in 12.10 or current Debian testing.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast