Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: "iMac G3 for Dummies"

Beans

Re: "iMac G3 for Dummies"

@Svetlana,

I was able to boot the 32-bit PowerPC Precise cli install from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD on iMac G3 600 and iMac G3 333. Haven't gotten to the video testing on the 333 yet.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by rsavage View Post
    According to my iBook the next line after the "Calling quiesce..." should be
    Code:
    returning from prom_init
    and then the splash screen kicks in (or the kernel text starts scrolling if you don't have a splash screen).
    @ST, et al:

Not to be a doom-sayer of darkest negativity, but having recently gone through a spate of paroxysmal kernel panics in my G4 iMac, I got to see this "calling quiesce" or stalling at "returning from prom_init" . . . which was the sign that . . . there was a "panic attack" . . . . Intermittent at first, then becoming more and more of a problem, rebooting from OSX back into Xubun, or trying to boot install discs . . . . maybe try to check if "the disk is healthy" in DU? Or run Apple Hardware Test, although AHT didn't find any problems even though the KPs continued, and KPs do other damage to, uh, stuff . . . . Much of my travails trying to deal with the KPs can be found in various forums . . . .

e.e.p.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by str8bs View Post
    @Svetlana,

I was able to boot the 32-bit PowerPC Precise cli install from https://help.ubuntu.com/community/In...tion/MinimalCD on iMac G3 600 and iMac G3 333. Haven't gotten to the video testing on the 333 yet.
    The 333 has a rage card (not rage 128). You need to have "ati" in the xorg.conf not "r128".

Beans

@rsavage - Edited. Thanks. I usually leave them all at ATI anyway, but doubtful this HW will tell us much regarding Svetlana's gpu.
    Just a thought: wouldn't having "ATI" in your sample config in the original post make it more universal? On the very few I've tested, it auto detects R128 fine. There may situations where it doesn't though.
    Last edited by str8bs; April 7th, 2013 at 12:53 AM. Reason: thought

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by este.el.paz View Post
    @ST, et al:

Not to be a doom-sayer of darkest negativity, but having recently gone through a spate of paroxysmal kernel panics in my G4 iMac, I got to see this "calling quiesce" or stalling at "returning from prom_init" . . . which was the sign that . . . there was a "panic attack" . . . . Intermittent at first, then becoming more and more of a problem, rebooting from OSX back into Xubun, or trying to boot install discs . . . . maybe try to check if "the disk is healthy" in DU? Or run Apple Hardware Test, although AHT didn't find any problems even though the KPs continued, and KPs do other damage to, uh, stuff . . . . Much of my travails trying to deal with the KPs can be found in various forums . . . .

e.e.p.
    I'm not booting from a hard drive, I'm booting from USB, which worked fine with Debian mini.iso but it doesn't seem to be working with the Ubuntu ones, I've tried DD'ing 12.04 LTS twice onto it now with the same results, stuck at "Calling quiesce...", no "prom_init", no splash screen. Is there any other ISO I should try or do I really have to burn a whopping 29mb onto a full blank CD-R?

Beans

@Svetlana,

The alternate PowerPC install from here and then type "cli" at boot: prompt. Follow same install steps as mini.iso and then follow rsavage instructions in first post. This is how I usually install L or X ubuntu.
    With the mini.iso, have you tried booting "cli video=ofonly" ?
    Last edited by str8bs; April 7th, 2013 at 03:13 AM. Reason: specify PowerPC

Beans

@Svetlana,

The alternate PowerPC install from here and then type "cli" at boot: prompt. Follow same install steps as mini.iso and then follow rsavage instructions in first post. This is how I usually install L or X ubuntu.
    With the mini.iso, have you tried booting "cli video=ofonly" ?
    Just wrote that ISO to my USB and booted off it, tried booting with "cli video=ofonly" to the same effect.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana Tovarisch View Post
    Just wrote that ISO to my USB and booted off it, tried booting with "cli video=ofonly" to the same effect.
    Other than what rsavage mentioned in post #7, I am out of ideas. If you download the Debian 7 mini.iso, that one boots cli fine still? I tested my 600 from usb and I've done a 500 previously, both of which use aty128fb but also both have same video, ATI Rage 128 Ultra 16M. To rule out missing aty128fb, you could try 12.10 mini or alternate. There must be something specific about your hardware that my three tested don't have in common with yours. The only real difference looking at the specs is CPU and yours has ATI Rage 128 Pro 8M and DVD. Wish I had a better answer for you.

Beans

Other than what rsavage mentioned in post #7, I am out of ideas. If you download the Debian 7 mini.iso, that one boots cli fine still? I tested my 600 from usb and I've done a 500 previously, both of which use aty128fb but also both have same video, ATI Rage 128 Ultra 16M. To rule out missing aty128fb, you could try 12.10 mini or alternate. There must be something specific about your hardware that my three tested don't have in common with yours. The only real difference looking at the specs is CPU and yours has ATI Rage 128 Pro 8M and DVD. Wish I had a better answer for you.
    The latest Debian businesscard ISO boots into the install procedure fine. Is there a mini.iso for 12.10? I can only find a full 700mb ISO.

rsavage is offline Iced Almond Soy Ubuntu, No Foam
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Svetlana Tovarisch View Post
    The latest Debian businesscard ISO boots into the install procedure fine.
    Have you tried it after you installed from it?

I haven't. My PRAM is being stored properly since I replaced the iMac's battery just a few months ago, and Debian PPC installed fine (I'm just not using it for a lack of good video drivers which make even a bare desktop unpleasantly sluggish to use). Do I still have to reset the PRAM? I would rather not lose the monitor geometry settings in it.
    Up to you. If installing debian mucked something up then it will clear that up. It will also presumeably reset you to a default video mode that may just work.

Is there a mini.iso for 12.10? I can only find a full 700mb ISO.
    In the wisdom of the lubuntu testers they pushed for it to be tested only to fail it (and passed lubuntu even though it has the same problems). So it is not with all the others, but I put a link for it on the downloads page https://wiki.ubuntu.com/PowerPCDownloads

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast