Thread: How do i run installed programs on linux debian and how to install a gui without inte

Beans

How do i run installed programs on linux debian and how to install a gui without inte

Am new to linux and i dont have any gui installed. I would like 2 know which website 2 go 2, 2 download the gui and how do i install it after downloading. And how do i run installed programs such as python?

Beans

Re: How do i run installed programs on linux debian and how to install a gui without

What do you mean "no gui"? What debian version are you running? What parts make up your computer such as cpu, ram, graphics, etc...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: How do i run installed programs on linux debian and how to install a gui without

Your best bet is to go to www.debian.org and peruse the documentation there.

The primary Debian installer currently installs a GUI, Gnome. If you've installed Debian with no GUI, perhaps you used one of their more minimal installers.

Programs, like python, are typically run by simply entering the program's name and pressing the Enter/Return key. Note, though, that python is a programming language and the program called "python" interprets scripts written in the language.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

how do i install it after downloading.
    There are a few ways that you can install Debian after you download the OS.
    You can take the downloaded ISO file and burn it to a DVD/CD or put it on a USB memory stick.

Once burned just put the DVD/CD in your drive and the installer will start the process of asking you questions and prepare your computer
    for the complete install.
    http://www.debian.org/CD/live/

You should be able to open Synaptic Package Manager and use the search and type in 'python'
    Synaptic will check the box next to the application. Right click on the package and "mark for installation" and click apply--

If you don't have Synaptic Package Manager installed that you will have to go to the Debian Repository and download it manually and use
    the terminal to install it-

The current stable version of Debian is 6.0.7
    http://wiki.debian.org/DebianReleases

Reading the documentation is highly recommended.

Unless; your building your OS manually-- I don't get why you don't have your GUI:~$ ?
    Did you only install the bare minimal pkgs ?
    Last edited by UltimateCat; April 4th, 2013 at 03:31 AM.
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

-:- Elementary OS Freya on a Quad Core Desktop : CentOS on a Sony Vaio-:-

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Make sure that you choose and download the correct ISO Image for your systems architecture.

For example I have a AMD Phenom Quad Core that is 64bit.
    So when I downloaded Debian I made sure that I had the correct file.

debian-squeeze_x86_64bit-iso-image (or something similar to that)
    "A morning w/o coffee is like something w/o something else"

-:- Elementary OS Freya on a Quad Core Desktop : CentOS on a Sony Vaio-:-