Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Wubi is no more.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Re: Wubi is no more.

Even though it never had been my cup of tea, I do recognize Wubi's advantages as being a very useful tool for Windows users with only basic computer skills, because of its convenience.
    No need to burn a CD or create an installing-USB, just download it from the Ubuntu homepage and install Ubuntu like any other windows application.
    Another benefit is that it's totally safe. New Linux users can freely tinker around and customize their system, without any fear, because with Wubi, Ubuntu is installed as an application so it's totally safe to mess around and if something bad happens, they just have to uninstall it and their data and Windows will still remain untouched.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by codingman View Post
    No sadness here. WUBI, in my opinion, was highly unstable, and quite useless, as getting it to work is as hard as partitioning your drive.

To all the people who think this,

You ARE doing it wrong .

Shame wubi helped alot of people try before they switched.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mJayk View Post
    To all the people who think this,

You ARE doing it wrong .

Shame wubi helped alot of people try before they switched.
    That may be true, but in the last five years virtualization has improved a lot and most computers can handle it without much trouble. Maybe Ubuntu should replace it with a qemu exe and a script to launch it painlessly.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Ubuntu is looking for someone to take over maintaining Wubi, please contact the release team if interested. The biggest problem, at the moment, is that it doesn't work with Windows 8.
    And it seems like for WUBI's intended 'market', that's fatal.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

As Wubi required Windows to be present at all times, it actually hindered people from removing Windows and going all-Ubuntu.

From a support point of view, Wubi was annoying.

1. It often threw up error messages that nobody could help the victim to solve.

2. Newbs would ask "How do I access my Windows partition?" and the helpers here would tell them that if the partition wasn't in the sidebar then they would have to add it to their fstab... and finally on page 3 they'd realise the OP had used Wubi.

3. It was never communicated properly that Wubi was really only to try out Ubuntu before a proper install. Newbs would use Wubi, get everything set up the way they liked it, start installing programs and copying over files, and then bump up against the 16 gig limit and complain that Ubuntu was out of space even though there was a hundred gigs free on the hard disk.

4. "I installed Ubuntu with Wubi and I got it just how I like it, now how do I remove Windows?"

5. "My Windows stopped working and now I can't get into Ubuntu either?"

A nightmare to support, I'm glad Wubi is gone. I would only support its return if it created an actual partitioned dual-boot.
    Last edited by 3rdalbum; April 7th, 2013 at 02:32 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I started with Wubi and I hope someone picks up support , but I have read this before from the same source when 12.04 was about to be released.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/w...r-ubuntu-12-04
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

Wubi was a broken concept. It would be much more helpful if it analyzed boot environment (like bootinfo script does) and assisted with setting up a regular dual-boot system.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    I started with Wubi and I hope someone picks up support , but I have read this before from the same source when 12.04 was about to be released.

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/03/w...r-ubuntu-12-04
    You know what they say,history tends to repeat itself.
    Please mark your thread as solved if you get a satisfactory response.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post
    As Wubi required Windows to be present at all times, it actually hindered people from removing Windows and going all-Ubuntu.

2. Newbs would ask "How do I access my Windows partition?" and the helpers here would tell them that if the partition wasn't in the sidebar then they would have to add it to their fstab... and finally on page 3 they'd realise the OP had used Wubi.

3. It was never communicated properly that Wubi was really only to try out Ubuntu before a proper install. Newbs would use Wubi, get everything set up the way they liked it, start installing programs and copying over files, and then bump up against the 16 gig limit and complain that Ubuntu was out of space even though there was a hundred gigs free on the hard disk.

4. "I installed Ubuntu with Wubi and I got it just how I like it, now how do I remove Windows?"

A nightmare to support, I'm glad Wubi is gone. I would only support its return if it created an actual partitioned dual-boot.
    A hundred times this.

I understand how WUBI was 'helpful', but I think it hindered people a great deal - such as the above.
    - "Make me a coffee..."
    - "No"
    - "sudo make me a coffee"
    - "OK"

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by 3rdalbum View Post

Great summary of what I feel about WUBI.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast