Thread: Repeated hard freezes after a firmware update

Beans

Repeated hard freezes after a firmware update

Hello!

I'm new to the forum; for the past few months, I've been using a hand-me-down Toshiba Satellite laptop from roughly 2006 with Ubuntu 10.04 installed on it. After spending all of last night trying to get a wireless USB adapter working, I finally managed to get it working today after finding the following thread: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1667140

I was apparently missing firmware and upon installation of it, my wireless USB adapter started working like a charm. However, since that update, my computer experiences hard freezes after being online (on either Firefox or Google Chrome) for approximately 45 minutes after starting up the computer. The mouse does not move; the keyboard does not work; the screen just goes to black as if it were about to load a DOS prompt and the mouse stays on the screen, but again, it won't move at all and so I just hold down the power button to switch it off.

I Googled old threads in cursory fashion but didn't seem to find anything that related to my problem; after spending ten hours yesterday trying to find a solution to the WiFi adapter problem that turned out to be head-smackingly simple, I really don't want to be up half the night figuring it out, so I thought I'd go ahead and ask. I just hope that it's not an issue that my computer could be too old to handle.
    Last edited by Morande80; March 28th, 2013 at 12:40 AM.

Beans

Re: Repeated hard freezes after a firmware update

Okay, it crashed three times in a row, the first two times after trying to pull up Google, the third time when I tried to go straight to Facebook after pulling up Firefox. That's not good. When it did, it just went to that black DOS prompt screen and the cursor turned into a pointing hand and froze.

Beans

And now it just freezes arbitrarily. I was in the middle of another thread in this forum, and when I started moving the mouse it froze as usual. I thought it might have been the Nvidia driver since I read a lot of complaints about how it freezes up Ubuntu, but I do not have one installed.

Beans

Bump. I still can't access the Internet without it crashing.

Beans

~
    Last edited by ahallubuntu; June 26th, 2013 at 04:35 AM.

Beans

Good to know. I hope to install 12.04 if I can get this smoothed out!

*-network:0
    description: Wireless interface
    product: AR2413 802.11bg NIC
    vendor: Atheros Communications Inc.
    physical id: 4
    bus info: pci@0000:02:04.0
    logical name: wlan0
    version: 01
    serial: 00:11:f5:7b:93:3f
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=ath5k ip=192.168.0.17 latency=168 maxlatency=28 mingnt=10 multicast=yes wireless=IEEE 802.11bg
    resources: irq:17 memory:c0200000-c020ffff
    *-network:1
    description: Ethernet interface
    product: RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+
    vendor: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
    physical id: 7
    bus info: pci@0000:02:07.0
    logical name: eth0
    version: 10
    serial: 00:a0:d1:24:3a:23
    width: 32 bits
    clock: 33MHz
    capabilities: bus_master cap_list ethernet physical
    configuration: broadcast=yes driver=8139too driverversion=0.9.28 latency=64 maxlatency=64 mingnt=32 multicast=yes
    resources: irq:18 ioport:a000(size=256) memory:c0211000-c02110ff
    *-network
    description: Wireless interface
    physical id: 1
    logical name: wlan1
    serial: 00:0d:81:a2:91:e0
    capabilities: ethernet physical wireless
    configuration: broadcast=yes ip=192.168.0.3 multicast=yes wireless=802.11b/g/n li