Thread: wireless device not seen on backtrack5 on VMware

Beans

wireless device not seen on backtrack5 on VMware

Hey there,
    i have been working on this for the past 2 weeks but not resolve yet. i'm using ubuntu 12.04 and i install backtrack 5 on a vmware. the problem is that my backtrack doesn't not see any wirelss device . i try read across the internet and apply a couple command . but nothing can someone help me fix this .
    couple command that will help:
    eth0 up
    iwconfig : display only eth0 not wlan0
    dhclient eth0
    wlan0 up or wlan0 mode manager : display error no such device

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: wireless device not seen on backtrack5 on VMware

can you plaese post the out put of these commands:
    Code:
    lspci
    Code:
    ifconfig
    Code:
    lsmod
    And if the wireless is an external card or USB device then;
    Code:
    lsusb

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Moved to Virtualisation.

Generally , discussions of other OSes are moved to their own section of the forums. In this case, however, the question is not about the OS itself.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Do the brute force, no-thinking required method: load a live CD to see if it works, so we know where the problem is. If it works there, it's in visualization.

Beans

dany01: I just spent a significant amount of time trying to accomplish the same thing about a month ago. After much research, it appears that you cannot interact directly with the onboard wireless devices this way. Emulation/bridging for wireless will only appear as a standard LAN port (eth0, etc) inside the VM.

The way I got around this was simple and works really well: I bought a USB wireless device and it DOES recognize that as long as you configure the VM as such to access host USB devices (I was using Virtual Box at the time). The model I purchased was an Alfa USB high gain/high power long-range which was fairly cheap and works really well.

Disclaimer: I certainly may be wrong about the above, and would love if somebody would tell me otherwise. However I spent ALOT of time trying to make this happen to no avail.

Edit: KB from VMware confirming above: http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/mic...rnalId=1005256