Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Nautilus in 13.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Nautilus in 13.04

Quote Originally Posted by EgoGratis View Post
    I can agree on that it was an surprise...

Thanks tutorial did worked. Now if only other few millions of users will find this tutorial... If anybody knows official rationale to ditch this i would like to read it because i got use to gems like this and to hear/read the rationale behind them.
    The usual rational is that only developers need/use that function (whichever one you feel is missing) so it's disabled in a default installation. They sometimes do leave us, the non-new user/non-developer a way to re-enable missing feature by editing a configuration file.

Beans

I found this commit:

https://git.gnome.org/browse/nautilu...afe63d37994c74

Don't use BackSpace to go to parent folder
    It interferes with searching, is totally unexpected, and there are at least 3 other ways to do this already.
    And we should use something like Alt + left/right arrow instead. Here is a thought what if "the other 3 methods" would be removed instead and the most common/expected one to remain:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backspace

Common use

In modern systems, the backspace key is often mapped to the delete character (0x7f in ASCII or Unicode), although the backspace key's function of deleting the character before the cursor remains.[3]

The backspace key is commonly used to go back a page (or up one level) when exploring folders in graphical environments, or when browsing the Web in web browsers.
    And yes it was fun to read the rationale of this gem keep them coming. Let's find another common thing and replace it with "the other 3 methods" few/nobody knows about because of the simple fact they are not common!

Beans

This was from the same crew that thought "Me" on file ownership display made sense..
    (no config but simple 4 line patch to revert.

Beans

Re: Backspace

Thinking of 'Backspace', - for whatever reason it's also diabled in Firefox by default, easily changed in =
    about:config > search backspace, edit value to 0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

FYI, "Tree View" is back in Nautilus/Files 3.8. It has to be enabled from dconf-editor/tools -> org -> desktop -> nautilus -> list-view.

Screenshot from FILES 3.8.1 (ArchLinux Gnome 3.8)
    Home_006.png
    "Evolution is Nature's way of issuing upgrades."

Beans

Great!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    This was from the same crew that thought "Me" on file ownership display made sense..
    (no config but simple 4 line patch to revert.
    Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I am so ABSOLUTELY DISAPPOINTED with the current dumbed down version of Nautilus. Nearly all the things I loved about it for 7 years have been slowly removed. But hey, at least it still not only shows my files, but actually lets me click on them!
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

=D> First Stop for Ubuntu Newbies

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Re: Please stop discussing 13.04 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by kevpan815 View Post
    Will you guys Please stop discussing 13.04 in this Sub-Forum? ... I will have to start Reporting Posts in this Sub-Forum that continue to discuss 13.04!
    Um, hope I don't come across as being cheeky, but since the thread is titled "Nautilus in 13.04", shouldn't 13.04 be the only thing we're discussing here? I think it is valid since most of us just upgraded to 13.04 and found that the Nautilus in it kind of sucks. Sorry if I am wrong, as I have no idea what the "Ubuntu +1" subforum is all about, but if this topic is invalid here, it's probably best to delete the whole topic than threaten users who stumble on this via Google or whatever and decide to vent their frustrations with Nautilus 3.6.3 in Ubuntu 13.04.
    Last edited by OzzyFrank; May 22nd, 2013 at 09:38 AM.
    Soylent Green is PEOPLE!!!

=D> First Stop for Ubuntu Newbies

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Re: Please stop discussing 13.04 in this Ubuntu + 1 Sub-Forum!

Quote Originally Posted by OzzyFrank View Post
    Um, hope I don't come across as being cheeky, but since the thread is titled "Nautilus in 13.04", shouldn't 13.04 be the only thing we're discussing here? I think it is valid since most of us just upgraded to 13.04 and found that the Nautilus in it kind of sucks. Sorry if I am wrong, as I have no idea what the "Ubuntu +1" subforum is all about, but if this topic is invalid here, it's probably best to delete the whole topic than threaten users who stumble on this via Google or whatever and decide to vent their frustrations with Nautilus 3.6.3 in Ubuntu 13.04.
    Nothing to worry about: the Saucy nautilus package is still a 3.6.3 (aka Raring renamed); we should get the real Saucy one soon (3.8+), and will possibly close that thread at that time.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345