Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problems with POD Studio UX2

Beans

Problems with POD Studio UX2

HI guys, my problem is just right on the title... I recently switched to Ubuntu Studio 12.04 and tried to install my UX2 soI could make some plaing and recording... not so much for my surprise, it didn't work... tried on some toneport drivers on the net and got audio on only one channel of my headphones, but the UX2 worked on getting signal from the input. The problems was that I couldn't get to work my UX2 with Qjackctl... just didn't understand the system on making that work.

Anyway... just a few minutes ago I tried downloading the usb drivers for windows and installing then with wine... but that caused that my UX2 now doesn't even start with Ubuntu...

I'd apreciate a lot any help!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Problems with POD Studio UX2

Hi, I have the UX2 and here's how to make it work flawlessly in Ubuntu!
    First, forget about wine and the windows drivers, you don't need them. Upgrade your kernel to a newer version like 3.8. This newer kernel has out of the box support for the UX2 and supports all the inputs and outputs on the UX2. The default 12.04 kernel doesn't. Here's an easy way to upgrade http://www.upubuntu.com/2013/03/inst...in-ubuntu.html
    Next, you'll need a mixer that will allow you select the UX2 as the default card and switch inputs, etc.. I use alsamixer (type in terminal to launch) and xfce4-mixer. Isn't the default mixer in Ubuntu Studio xfce4-mixer? I don't know, I don't use it. But, both of these programs will allow you to select the card and fiddle with its controls. Once you have the newer kernel and selected the card in one of the mixer programs you can launch qjackctl, go to setup, and select the card under the interface dropdown box. Alsamixer will tell you the HW # of your card if your not sure. A program like Patchage will help immensley for making the signal connections compared to qjackctl.
    A couple of things, if you really want to get serious with the UX2 for recording with Ubuntu, I recommend checking out http://kxstudio.sourceforge.net/ I installed Ubuntu 12.04 and added the ppas for Kxstudio and I believe you can do the same with Ubuntu Studio. There is an app called Cadence, which is your Jack configuration app and its way better and easier to use than qjackctl (imo). KxStudio uses KDE for the default desktop but you can skip adding the ppa for the KDE stuff and continue to use your environment of choice. I'm running mine atop Unity with all compiz effects turned off and a lowlatency kernel and everythings works amazing well. With the amount free plugins and the ability to route your signals from the UX2 however you like, its really much better than using the UX2 in windows with Pod farm. Beware though that if you go this route you should upgrade the kernel on that system as well so you have the best driver support for your UX2 from the kernel. You can also install the driver manually if you wish- http://sourceforge.net/projects/line6linux/
    SYSTEM-Sony Vaio VPCF13YFX CPU-Intel 740Q M quad core GPU-Nvidia GeForce GT425M 1gb dedicated RAM-8gb crucial
    OS- Ubuntu 14.04, KxStudio 12.04

Beans

Thank you very much!!! It did worked!! But I've the same problem as before... with the two options of config that alsamixer gives me on which i hear the guitar, the sound only comes out of one headphone

And the other thing is that I cannot figure out how to configure Qjackctl and/or Patchage to make my guitar sound with Rakarrack Any hint?

Thank you again!!

Beans
    Distro

Okay, I know exactly what is happening here, mine does the same thing when I first plug it in. Please try these steps-
    1.plug in UX2 and plug headphones into UX2
    2.open alsamixer and press F6 and select UX2
    3.choose "Instrument" above PCM Capture Source
    4.turn the volume of the "Monitor" chanel all the way down (should hear silence now)
    5.open Qjackctl, (select setup and verify you have UX2 selected as interface, mine is hw:2 or hw:2,0 both seem to work the same) check that in the audio dropdown box you have selected "duplex" also the driver should be "alsa" and the sample rate should be 44100, Frames/period and periods/buffer will vary depending on your hardware, mine are 512 and 2. leave everything else alone and hit "OK"
    6.On the main Qjackctl window hit "Start", it should say "starting" and after a couple seconds say "started"
    7.now open Patchage, you will see two boxes titled "system", one with "capture_1 and capture_2" and the other with "playback_1 and playback_2" in blue. These are your connection points.
    8.open Rakarrack, now look in the patchage window and you should see new box for Rakarrack with inputs and outputs.
    9.by left clicking and holding on the "capture_1" box, drag a connection line to the "in_1" and then again to the "in_2" box on rakarrack, then connect "out_1" to "playback_1" and "out_2" to "playback_2" (you can set rakarrack to "auto-connect" in the settings for future use)
    You should be good to go now!

Also, if a mod reads this, this thread is no longer relavent to Wine
    SYSTEM-Sony Vaio VPCF13YFX CPU-Intel 740Q M quad core GPU-Nvidia GeForce GT425M 1gb dedicated RAM-8gb crucial

Beans

Hello once again... I got now to hear the sound of my guitar... but somehow it hears kind of robotic and with a little latency :S But I'm happy that I've made this progress thanks to your help!! Thank youuu!!

Beans
    Distro

Glad I could help! Not sure what to tell you about the robotic sound, I dont hear anything like that. Do all the presets in Rakarrack sound like that? Also, to reduce latency, try changing the Frames/Period in qjackctl from 512 to 256. Make sure Patchage is set to the same. If you encounter lots of xruns you can try increasing the Periods/Buffer to 3. You may have to experiment a little with those settings.

Beans

I'll try experimenting with the settings then... and yes, all presets hears like that. It's kind of annoying -.- I'll let you know about what I find!

Beans

Ok, I've been doing my research and my experiments with the sound of my UX2 and I discovered that the problem is with all kind of sound that I hear from the computer, not only the sound of my guitar :S And I just don't have a clue on where to look

Beans
    Distro

This only happens with the UX2? If you unplug the UX2 and use the speakers or headphones on the computer is the sound okay?

Beans

Exactly, the computer sound is okay... the thing is on the UX2 (Which btw works like a charm on windows, so the UX2 isn't the problem, hardwarewise xD)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast