Thread: What is this? iOS vs Ubuntu & Android

Beans

What is this? iOS vs Ubuntu & Android

Once my customer pay a visit to the factory. He take some photos from his iPhone in production line. When we return to the Wi-Fi covered office, he put his iPhone directly inside his bag … 15-minutes later, he brings out his iPad and begins to ask for an explanation by showing us some photos ... and I'm amazed.
    The photos is a photos that he just taken from production line. How can it be? What kind of service is this?
    Is there any such service to works in Ubuntu and Android?

PS:
    SORRY to everybody who think this is a stupid question ... for that was I am.
    My knowledge to technology is far than insufficient ... SORRY
    ... and SORRY for my bad English

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What is this? iOS vs Ubuntu & Android

The first thing that you must understand is that we do not at this time have either a Ubuntu phone or a Ubuntu tablet. But we think that these devices may be on sale by the end of the year.

Second, there is available for everyone what is called cloud storage. We can store data on computer servers belonging to companies. Some companies charge for this service. Others may allow us to store a small amount of data free of charge and then charge us if we need to store large amounts of data.

This means that if I take a photograph on my camera phone I can upload it to one of these on-line storage services which I can then access with my desktop PC or my tablet PC and the photographs taken by the phone are now on my PC or tablet as if by magic.

There is such a storage service called Ubuntu One. I do not have a camera phone or a tablet but I use the free service of Ubuntu One to store 5GB of data as a way of backing up my data.

https://one.ubuntu.com/

Regards.
    Last edited by grahammechanical; March 31st, 2013 at 04:05 PM.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    Thread moved to Recurring Discussions.
    You moved the thread ... OK! But would you mind to tell me where is the address of Recurring Discussions is?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

It is here follow the screenshots.
    Thanks
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by grahammechanical View Post
    The first thing that you must understand is that we do not at this time have either a Ubuntu phone or a Ubuntu tablet. But we think that these devices may be on sale by the end of the year.
    I know that ... that's why I write iOS vs Ubuntu & Android.
    Cos I used Ubuntu desktop, Android phone and Android tablet.
    While my wife & children has an Android phone & iPad.

... called cloud storage ...
    This means that if I take a photograph on my camera phone I can upload it to one of these on-line storage services which I can then access with my desktop PC or my tablet PC and the photographs taken by the phone are now on my PC or tablet as if by magic.
    Thank you
    So, if a photo, which originally was taken by my phone ... if I re-format the phone, is the file still exist in my other device?

There is such a storage service called Ubuntu One. I do not have a camera phone or a tablet but I use the free service of Ubuntu One to store 5GB of data as a way of backing up my data.
    https://one.ubuntu.com/
    Regards.
    5GB is free, right? Just registered ... thank you

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Wild Man View Post
    It is here follow the screenshots.
    Thanks
    Thank you.

prodigy_ is offline May the Ubuntu Be With You!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by czgirb View Post
    So, if a photo, which originally was taken by my phone ... if I re-format the phone, is the file still exist in my other device?
    Yes. If something resides on a remote server, it's unaffected by any file system changes on your device. This has nothing to do with iOS however. The design has been in use for decades (shared network folders, DFS, IMAP, etc). What's so exciting about it? :)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by prodigy_ View Post
    ... the design has been in use for decades ...
    For a decades ???? Oh! How technology illiterate I am.
    Thank you.