Thread: restoring my password

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

restoring my password

I have a computer connected to my TV, essentially for running the TV, which has no security issues and on which the pasword is merely a nuciense. Because of this I went into settings and told the system not to use paswords. The password was reset to none.

All was well untill I tried to run updates, but updates demands a password and will not accept ' blank or none'.

I then tried to reinstate my password, but I can't put in a new password without entering the existing one, and this cannot be blank or 'none' either.

I can't be the only person ever to do this, so there must be a way out of it. Any help please.

Beans

Beans
    Distro

Re: restoring my password

OK now. Thanks.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post

I wish I'd seen this a year ago!
    I ended up doing a re-install, and lost a few images that hadn't been backed up.

Beans
    Distro

It does seem a bit long winded for such a simple job. If I tell my system I don't want password control I expect it not to use password control, not make my system unuseable. Still, all OK now. I can't help thinking that this kind of thing is why so many people still use windows though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Instead of removing the password, you could use "autologon." It might be under "User Accounts", where you click on "Unlock", provide your password, then flip the "automatic logon" switch. However, it varies across distros and versions.