Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Use Google Chrome's built-in Flash Player in Firefox? Please confirm.

Beans

Use Google Chrome's built-in Flash Player in Firefox? Please confirm.

I found this while searching through Google, here's the url:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/03/use-g...-flash-in.html

Use Google Chrome Built-In Flash In Firefox For (Probably) Less Crashes

I had some issues with Adobe Flash crashing very often using the latest Firefox 4 so I've searched for a way to fix this and found a topic on AskUbuntu which says to use Chrome's Flash plugin in Chromium so I though - why not do it for Firefox? - and it's actually working quite well for now.

Chrome uses a built-in Adobe Flash plugin which seems to work better then the regular Flash. But there's a catch: you must install Chrome (and keep it updated if you want further Flash updates) even if you don't use it.

Use the built-in Chrome Flash plugin in Firefox

1. Download and install Google Chrome (I for one prefer the unstable branch but I guess any version will do)

2. Open a terminal and copy / paste the following commands:

mkdir -p ~/.mozilla/plugins
    ln -s /opt/google/chrome/libgcflashplayer.so ~/.mozilla/plugins/

3. Restart Firefox.

The exact same instructions above also work for Chromium (yes, using the ~/.mozilla/plugins/ folder even though it's for Chromium).

Note: I've tested this with the latest Firefox 4 32bit only (and Chromium 32bit)! It should work with older Firefox versions too though.
    Please confirm this, thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Use Google Chrome's built-in Flash Player in Firefox? Please confirm.

That is quite an old link. It talks about Firefox 4. Browsers have been evolving rather rapidly. At this time, Google Chrome uses Pepper Flash which is not compatible with any version of Firefox.
    de gustibus et coloribus non est disputandum -- Wiktionary

Beans

It won't work with modern versions of the Google Flash plugin (> 11.2) because they only use Pepper/PPAPI plugin architecture and FF doesn't support it: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    That is quite an old link. It talks about Firefox 4. Browsers have been evolving rather rapidly. At this time, Google Chrome uses Pepper Flash which is not compatible with any version of Firefox.
    Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    It won't work with modern versions of the Google Flash plugin (> 11.2) because they only use Pepper/PPAPI plugin architecture and FF doesn't support it: http://blogs.adobe.com/flashplayer/2...-on-linux.html
    But what about with Chromium?

Beans

This is a hack, but it could work: http://www.ubuntuvibes.com/2012/07/h...player-in.html

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by argonvegell View Post
    But what about with Chromium?
    Nope. Chromium uses the "exact same" Flash that Firefox uses. Chromium doesn't use Pepper Flash. Pepper Flash is limited to Google Chrome.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I installed and tried Chromium today, it sucked completely, I got a headache setting it up, settings and such, Firefox is way easier to use, so I won't be using Google Chrome or Chromium anytime soon. Anyway, I heard Firefox has a project ongoing, Shumway, so I'm hopeful that would replace Adobe Flash Player for Linux users who are loyal to Firefox. I have some questions on Shumway, would it be able to play Facebook games created by Zynga and King.com? Like Candy Crush Saga, Chefville, CityVille?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by argonvegell View Post
    ... I have some questions on Shumway, would it be able to play Facebook games created by Zynga and King.com? Like Candy Crush Saga, Chefville, CityVille?
    Why don't you start a new, appropriately named thread? Something with Shumway in the title?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    Nope. Chromium uses the "exact same" Flash that Firefox uses. Chromium doesn't use Pepper Flash. Pepper Flash is limited to Google Chrome.
    Serendipity led me to this thread... Just to report that I'm writing this from Chromium using Pepper... Using it for quite some time...
    Last edited by zika; June 25th, 2013 at 08:00 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zika View Post
    Serendipity led me to this thread... Just to report that I'm writing this from Chromium using Pepper... Using it for quite some time...
    So?
    It still doesn't change the fact that Chromium doesn't come with Pepper Flash. One has to take additional steps (like also downloading Chrome in order to point Chromium to the Pepper Flash.)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast