Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Screwed up bootloader after trying to expand partion

Beans

Screwed up bootloader after trying to expand partion

After trying to expand my Ubuntu partion of my dual boot Windows 7/ Ubuntu through Gparted, I restart my computer and Ubuntu won't load up, but instead, gives me some error about not being able to mount or something. I then go through Startup repair using the Ubuntu live USB, restart, and from what was in Grub: Ubuntu, Ubuntu Advanced Options, and Windows 7, I now only see GNU/Linux and GNU/Linux advanced options. I can't boot into Ubuntu, it just stays at a purple screen, and Windows 7 isn't an option any more. I am now stuck using the Live USB.
    -Edit: I managed to get into Windows 7 by reinstalling the Windows boot manager. Still cant access Ubuntu, gonna try startup repair again.
    Last edited by Chuckn2x; April 1st, 2013 at 04:12 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Screwed up bootloader after trying to expand partion

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckn2x View Post
    After trying to expand my Ubuntu partion of my dual boot Windows 7/ Ubuntu through Gparted, I restart my computer and Ubuntu won't load up, but instead, gives me some error about not being able to mount or something. I then go through Startup repair using the Ubuntu live USB, restart, and from what was in Grub: Ubuntu, Ubuntu Advanced Options, and Windows 7, I now only see GNU/Linux and GNU/Linux advanced options. I can't boot into Ubuntu, it just stays at a purple screen, and Windows 7 isn't an option any more. I am now stuck using the Live USB.
    -Edit: I managed to get into Windows 7 by reinstalling the Windows boot manager. Still cant access Ubuntu, gonna try startup repair again.
    Welcome to the forums!! My very first question would be whether or not you need Windows 7 on your machine? Personally I dumped Windows a little over a year ago and have not looked back. However, I know that each situation is different for each individual. What version of Ubuntu are you running?

Beans

Yes, I stick with windows just because some stuff I'm too lazy to transfer over, and I like gaming, and know there are still some issues with that with Linux. I have Ubuntu 12.10. Things were working smoothly until I started screwing around, trying to expand the partion. I just felt like I'd be using linux more and more often so I wanted to give it some more space.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Chuckn2x View Post
    Yes, I stick with windows just because some stuff I'm too lazy to transfer over, and I like gaming, and know there are still some issues with that with Linux. I have Ubuntu 12.10. Things were working smoothly until I started screwing around, trying to expand the partion. I just felt like I'd be using linux more and more often so I wanted to give it some more space.
    Obviously you have a couple of different options here....the first would be reinstalling Ubuntu all together. Some could say this is the most painful simply because you'd be starting over from scratch. The other thing that you could try would be to fix your Grub. I have a link here that hopefully helps you repair your Grub from your live cd. Let me know if this helps!

Beans

I already tried the Startup repair, but I'll give it one more go. Whenever I try to boot into Ubuntu, it just gives me a bunch of error messages. I can't give you those error messages right now, because it's not accessible using Windows Boot loader, but I will try once I reinstall grub again.

Beans

maybe the ubuntu partition needs to have an equivalent of check disk.

the disk utility application, which shows smart status, has another option for filesystem check.

Beans

How would I do that? I looked at it, ran the SMART drive thing, and it said my hard drive was okay.

Beans

once the drive is selected from the left pane, the right will show options. click the ubuntu partition on the right side. at the lower area there is a button saying "check file system", click it.

Beans

no option for that from what I'm looking at.

Beans

this can be done from the command line then. so boot the live usb, and make sure you know the location of your ubuntu partition. open terminal application, paste the following in
    Code:
    sudo fsck /dev/sdaX
    replace the X with your partition number.
    press the enter key.

fsck will check the file system and ask which problems should be fixed or corrected. If you don't want to type y every time then you can use this command instead
    Code:
    sudo fsck -y /dev/sdaX
    Please note if any files are recovered then they are placed in /home/lost+found directory

source:
    http://linuxpoison.blogspot.tw/2009/04/how-to-checkrepair-fsck-filesystem.html
    Last edited by black veils; April 1st, 2013 at 04:16 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast