Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ubuntu theme/appearance controls leave a lot to be desired.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Ubuntu theme/appearance controls leave a lot to be desired.

It was more a wish for something in the future. Yes, a point and click, something that comes standard, not something that every user would have to root through config files to manually tweak for themselves.
    Like how the ole gnome2 worked.
    With simply opening up the background setting feature and changing background, fonts, theme, and something else which I forget(been a year and a half), and if none of the themes work for you, a little link that says get more themes, which when clicked gets you to a site where you can download themes, which in turn auto-install and set as the theme in use. And if you don't like it, switch again.No harm.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exactly, deadflowr.

Thank you for the link, vasa1. Looks interesting, I will have to fiddle with it later when I have the time. lol No telling whne that will be, maybe they will have it in the repos by the time I get around to it.
    And it is certainly more time consuming than selecting a color and hitting apply. Lazy? Maybe. Or perhaps just pressed for time and not inclined to spend what little is available doing something that use to take just a few clicks.
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Beans

How about trying some other DE/WM? I know that you have tried several others, but there are some other ones that you missed. You should take a look at OB and BB. You can also try some tiling WM's, and with those the themes are done via code, and you don't really notice the GTK of tiled windows.
    CrunchBang Linux
    Plz no tpe lik dis or no anser!!
    The search tool can be found in the upper right corner of your screen, please use it to your advantage, especially before asking questions.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by deadflowr View Post
    Like how the ole gnome2 worked.
    With simply opening up the background setting feature and changing background, fonts, theme, and something else which I forget(been a year and a half), and if none of the themes work for you, a little link that says get more themes, which when clicked gets you to a site where you can download themes, which in turn auto-install and set as the theme in use. And if you don't like it, switch again.No harm.
    gnome-color-chooser is still available for gtk2 apps though it won't let you change themes but, IIRC, you can change aspects of the theme. (I could be wrong! It's a while since I used it.)

Then there are other, more customizable distros such as Lubuntu which has lxappearance, aka Customize Look and Feel. The image shows what can be tweaked. BTW, for whatever reason, widgets = themes!:
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

codingman,
    I will take a look at those. Thank you for the suggestions!

vasa1,
    I like lxde, it just gets a little squirrly on my machine... no idea why, since it behaves perfectly on my desktop and netbook. lol I may give it another try soon... I do miss it.
    I have tried gnome-color-chooser, which is not bad, except that it is not global. If it were, it would be the answer to my prayers.

Thanks again!
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - That principle is contempt prior to investigation."
    Herbert Spencer

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12