Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need some help getting drivers for a ralink wireless card

Beans

need some help getting drivers for a ralink wireless card

i just got this ralink wireless card and when i download the drivers i get thisScreenshot from 2013-03-31 16:20:45.png

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: need some help getting drivers for a ralink wireless card

It would be very helpful to know the full name of the file. It appears to be RT2860 firmware which is already built in to Ubuntu.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

oh sorry i have 12.04 and i also have a realtek 7811 usb hooked up as well i'm trying to get rid of the realtek adapter hopefully this helps somewhat thank you i appreciate any help anyone can give me

Beans

yeah i tried the firmware thing and it is still consistently asking for the password to the router. the full file name is 2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar.bz2

Beans
    Distro

i also have a realtek 7811 usb hooked up as well i'm trying to get rid of the realtek adapter hopefully this helps somewhat
    Well, it really doesn't. Do I surmise you have a built-in Realtek that you are trying to disable so you can use a USB device? Why? Is the built-in not working as expected? Shouldn't we trouble-shoot the daylights of it before we fire it?

Please open a terminal and run and post:
    Code:
    lsusb
    lspci -nn | grep 0280
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

the realtek adapter i have is in bad shape and it only wants to work part of the time i'm just trying to replace it with a a better working adapter

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamrandy View Post
    the realtek adapter i have is in bad shape and it only wants to work part of the time i'm just trying to replace it with a a better working adapter
    If we're going to figure all that out, we'll need the details I requested, please.

Beans

Screenshot from 2013-03-31 17:17:55.pnghere is the info you requested i hope

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by iamrandy View Post
    here is the info you requested i hope
    Yes, indeed.

Your built-in is a Ralink and uses the driver rt2800pci. You can confirm it's loaded:
    Code:
    lsmod | grep rt2
    Let's unload it and blacklist it so it's out of the way:
    Code:
    sudo su
    modprobe -r rt2800pci
    echo "blacklist rt2800pci" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf
    Your USB uses the tricky module rtl8192cu about which there are no end of problems on this forum. Let's see if we can get it going:
    Code:
    echo rtl8192cu >> /etc/modules
    exit
    Now reboot and tell us if it's working:
    Code:
    iwconfig
    the full file name is 2010_07_16_RT2860_Linux_STA_v2.4.0.0.tar.bz2
    This is an old, old driver that is appropriate about four years ago for your internal. Unless you are running Ubuntu 10.04, and you think the internal can work again, it's useless.
    Last edited by chili555; March 31st, 2013 at 10:39 PM.

Beans

ok just so theres no confusion the ralink pci is the new wireless card and the realtek is the old one that doesn't work so well i know how to install the drivers for the realtek the ralink is the one that is giving me problems i hopw we're on the same page no or maybe i'm confused

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast