Thread: terminal problem

Beans

terminal problem

When i type a command (sudo apt-get ect,ect) press enter and it asks for my password before it can run the command but when i try to type the password nothing happens???it doesnt let me type.
    also im so used to windows that im finding ubuntu very hard to work with as im by far no expert with computers but im trying to learn python at the moment,how come i remove the micro sd from my phone and put into my laptop using adapter but nothing i have on the card eg.music,pics,downloads appear and it doesnt give me an option in g-parted to format the sd as something is up and my phone isnt seeing it on the new rom i flashed,one more thing there is no way to dim the screen

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: terminal problem

When you're typing your password at the terminal, it's normal for nothing readable to show on the screen while you type. You might want to think of this as a security precaution to help prevent someone who might be looking over your shoulder reading your password.

Just type your password as usual.
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Never assume that information you find using a search engine is up-to-date.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

It's normal not to see anything echoed to the screen when you enter your password in a terminal.

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/passwordinterminal

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Hi there! If I'm understanding what you're describing correctly, what you're seeing is perfectly normal - the password is in fact being submitted, it's just not being displayed. Just type carefully and press Enter when you're done, and provided the sudo password is correct the command should then run.

You should be able to adjust power settings including screen dimming (if it's a laptop anyway) via power settings; the Brightness settings are available from the System Settings menu (the cog and wrench on the left, if you're using the latest version of Ubuntu without any modifications to the default desktop layout). You can also get to a Windows-like file browser that should help you find files and such - this is normally available as a shortcut on the left, but also by pressing Alt+F2, typing 'nautilus' (no quotes) and pressing Enter.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You've seemed to have gotten your first questioned answered.
    For help with the learning Ubuntu

https://help.ubuntu.com/

Pick the version you're running.

And
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community

As for the other two questions (I guess, if we include the python part) please start a thread for each problem, as threads should be specific to a problem, and you'll get better help from pros in each area.
    Splat Double Splat Triple Splat
    Earn Your Keep
    Don't mind me, I'm only passing through.
    Once in a blue moon, I'm actually helpful