Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AppIndicators

Beans

AppIndicators

What is the current status of AppIndicators in Raring? I have recently upgraded from 12.10 and do not have neither Skype, nor NetworkManager, nor Keyboard Indicator on the panel, which is a bit annoying. I know that whitelist is depreciated but I wonder if the new system is working or it is just buggy. As I understand all those should work with AppIndicators.
    ASUS Zenbook 14 Ubuntu 22.10

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: AppIndicators

Install synaptic if not already and look them up and install them if needed and restart. missing indicators have been noted by others as a result of upgrades. Try indicator-network for example . I don't use Skype and can't comment. This is still beta testing and though 13.04 is running well for me that is not the case for all testers. If you have need of more complete stable system don't use pre-release versions.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Try creating a new user to see how things work from there without the
    interference from old configs.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Greetings,
    The reality is that the individual software developers will have to make their software compatible with the indicator. Systray is basically going away. It may take a few months for some and perhaps never for others. I like Gajim for my jabber client and currently using Empathy which I don't prefer. Kopete and the other options still don't have indicators. Just the state of affairs right now and not all fixable by Ubuntu.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Frogs Hair View Post
    Install synaptic if not already and look them up and install them if needed and restart. missing indicators have been noted by others as a result of upgrades. Try indicator-network for example . I don't use Skype and can't comment. This is still beta testing and though 13.04 is running well for me that is not the case for all testers. If you have need of more complete stable system don't use pre-release versions.
    I have tried to install the indocator-network but it is for connman not nm. So I do not think that those indicators will help.

Quote Originally Posted by stinkeye View Post
    Try creating a new user to see how things work from there without the
    interference from old configs.
    I have already done it and it's not different from what I have on my account.

Quote Originally Posted by rrnbtter View Post
    Greetings,
    The reality is that the individual software developers will have to make their software compatible with the indicator. Systray is basically going away. It may take a few months for some and perhaps never for others. I like Gajim for my jabber client and currently using Empathy which I don't prefer. Kopete and the other options still don't have indicators. Just the state of affairs right now and not all fixable by Ubuntu.
    Well, it is true but NM and Skype do have appinducators as far as I know. The keyboard indocator is a part of the default setup and should work unless the whole appindicators system is still buggy.

Beans

The indicator is nm-applet (from network-manager-gnome package
    Is it installed & if so have you disabled it from startup applications (by default is not displayed as a choice so should run if installed

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    The indicator is nm-applet (from network-manager-gnome package
    Is it installed & if so have you disabled it from startup applications (by default is not displayed as a choice so should run if installed
    It is installed but is not in startup apps. Should I add it?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by foxy123 View Post
    It is installed but is not in startup apps. Should I add it?
    Really should be no need -
    Does it show up & run if you go -
    Alt+F2 > type in nm-a, should show in command box (nm-applet), if so click on

If it works then what does this show
    Code:
    gedit /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

install that ppa to get whitelist back : https://launchpad.net/~timekiller/+a...ity-systrayfix

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Really should be no need -
    Does it show up & run if you go -
    Alt+F2 > type in nm-a, should show in command box (nm-applet), if so click on

If it works then what does this show
    Code:
    gedit /etc/xdg/autostart/nm-applet.desktop
    the command does not do anything. Here the contents of the .desktop file:

[Desktop Entry]
    Name=Network
    Comment=Manage your network connections
    Icon=nm-device-wireless
    Exec=nm-applet
    Terminal=false
    Type=Application
    NoDisplay=true
    NotShowIn=KDE;
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Bugzilla=GNOME
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Product=NetworkManager
    X-GNOME-Bugzilla-Component=general
    X-GNOME-Autostart-enabled=true
    X-GNOME-UsesNotifications=true
    X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=nm-applet

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    install that ppa to get whitelist back : https://launchpad.net/~timekiller/+a...ity-systrayfix
    The thing is that all those apps (Skype and network and keyboard layout indicators) are said to support AppIndicators framework. I am not sure if I need to white-list them. But I will try it if all other attempts fail. Thanks for the PPA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast