Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu 12.04/ Windows 7 dual boot Grub2 Boot Repair Issue

My computer is EFI enabled.
    System config
    Mobo: Gigabyte 78LMT-S2P
    Video: MSI R5450 MDIGH (Radeon)

I am trying to set up a dual boot with Windows 7. I have had this computer confugured in this manner in the past. In fact, up until a couple days ago. At that point, I "broke" Ubuntu by messing around with things I shouldn't have been. I figured my easiest path forward was to reinstall. I installed Ubuntu again, but couldn't get Grub to come up. Next I started from scratch - Reformat hard drive, install windows, resize windows partition, install Ubuntu. Still can't get Grub to come up.
    The first time around I ran Boot Repair twice. The first time was Recommended Repair. When that didn't work, I did Advanced and got everything working. I didn't really do anything in Advanced, just left all of the default settings.

The second time around, I have run Boot Repair in the same manner, only this time, since things didn't work out, I've tried a few of the Advanced options. I'm not too worried about breaking anything, since I can only boot Windows at this point, anyway. If I break anything beyond recognition, I can always reinstall.

Here are the URL's listed after Boot Repair. The first is from a couple months ago, when I had a functional Grub, the other is from today. I have looked at these and don't see anything obvious, but I don't know what I'm looking for.
    Hopefully, there's someone here that can help.

URL when grub did work:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5602254/

URL from today. Grub is mia at boot:
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5664848/
    Last edited by kgriff; April 4th, 2013 at 01:03 PM.

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04/ Windows 7 dual boot Grub2 Boot Repair Issue

do you have two disks?
    there is/was a grub bug.

I used raring install dvd to repair.

have fun,
    jay

Beans

I forgot to say....

try doing a google on ubuntu bug grub

and see if any apply to you.

Jay

Beans
    Distro

Can you provide any more information about how the raring dvd helped you fix your problem?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you just go into your UEFI and boot Windows do you get grub menu?

It looks like Boot-Repair modified Windows boot file to be shim. Many Windows 8 systems with secure boot will only boot the Windows efi file, hard coded into UEFI, and not per standard. You should not need that and probably can undo it with Boot-Repair. Then you should have both ubuntu & Windows in UEFI menu & grub menu will also let you boot Windows.

Boot-Repair - Updated Jan 1, 2013 to not rename first time, but rename if first time Windows does not boot. Post 706 and 711
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...769482&page=71
    Boot-Repair copied /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi to /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi (in case the BIOS is hard-coded to boot into /EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi or secure boot signed GRUB file shimx64.efi.
    A user disabled secure boot, and unchecked it in boot-repair. It now bypasses Grub and goes straight in to Windows.
    Renamed files:
    /EFI/Boot/bkpbootx64.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bkpbootmgfw.efi

To perform this, just run Boot-Repair --> Adv options --> tick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> Apply
    Then reboot the PC to UEFI/BIOS and chose ubuntu, and please tell us what you observe.
    Please enable SecureBoot in your BIOS, then run Boot-Repair --> Advanced Options --> "GRUB options" tab --> tick "SecureBoot" --> Apply.
    To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.

Also have you updated UEFI/BIOS? Many early Gigabyte board had limited UEFI support.
    For info on UEFI boot install & repair - Updated Mar 2015:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2147295
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by oldfred View Post
    If you just go into your UEFI and boot Windows do you get grub menu?
    No grub menu at all, no matter what I do, since I reinstalled Ubuntu and, subsequently, wiped everything out, reinstalled Windows, then reinstalled Ubuntu.

To perform this, just run Boot-Repair --> Adv options --> tick "Backup and rename EFI files" --> Apply
    Then reboot the PC to UEFI/BIOS and chose ubuntu, and please tell us what you observe.
    During Boot Repair I was prompted to copy-paste three commands in terminal. I assume this is normal since I've gotten this each time.
    The third command:
    sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda5" apt-get purge -y -force-yes grub*-common shim-signed linux-signed*
    yielded several not unexpected things, but one that seems like it might be bad;
    'dpkg: warning: while removing grub-common, directory '/etc/grub.d' not empty so not removed.'
    This may be normal, also. I wasn't looking this thoroughly in past iterations.

The final command coming up in a new pop-up:
    sudo chroot "/mnt/boot-sav/sda5" apt-get install -y -force-yes grub-efi linux
    resulted in the following, and seems okay:
    Creating config file /etc/default/grub with new version
    BootCurrent: 0000
    Timeout: 3 seconds
    BootOrder: 0002,0000,0001
    Boot0000* EFI DVD/CDROM
    Boot0001* OsLoader0000
    Boot0002* ubuntu
    Installation finished. No error reported.
    Setting up grub-efi (2.00-7ubuntu11)

Upon reboot, I get the same as before: POST, slight delay at a black screen with a non-blinking line-cursor in the upper left corner, then boot Windows.

Please enable SecureBoot in your BIOS, then run Boot-Repair --> Advanced Options --> "GRUB options" tab --> tick "SecureBoot" --> Apply.
    To undo & to rename files to their original names, you just need to tick the "Restore EFI backups" option of Boot-Repair.

Also have you updated UEFI/BIOS? Many early Gigabyte board had limited UEFI support.
    Secure Boot is not an option with this Bios. I do have the latest Bios rev. I was able to dual boot in EFI mode a few days ago, and I haven't changed anything in bios, so I don't think that's the issue.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you do not have secure boot (only Windows 8 systems do currently), you should have both Windows and Ubuntu in UEFI menu. Not sure what osloader0000 is?

Post new BootInfo just to see if files look like they are in correct places.
    Please use Thread Tools above first post to close thread when/if answered completely.

Beans
    Distro

BootInfo
    http://paste.ubuntu.com/5669202

I believe OsLoader0000 is attempting to refer to Windows. I believe, when I installed as dual boot and everything worked out, somewhere along the way I got an indication that Boot Repair recognized the existance of Windows. This time around, I've gotten no such indication, so I'm not too sure what's going on.

Edit - Forgot to mention - In Bios I can only select "Hard Disk" as boot source. I'm not sure what you mean by "UEFI menu". Grub never comes up.
    Last edited by kgriff; April 2nd, 2013 at 03:53 PM.

Beans
    Distro

You are willing to do a format and clean reinstall of both OSs if I understood right, right?

In that case, forget about UEFI. The uefi dual boot is still much more comlicated to do than the older type legacy dual boot.

If you are willing to format the disk again, here is my suggestion:
    1. Go into bios and disable uefi boot. Set it at Legacy Only or how ever it's called in your bios. This will make sure you don't boot an install cd in uefi mode by mistake.
    2. Boot the ubuntu cd in live mode, open terminal and write new blank msdos table on the disk:
    Code:
    sudo parted /dev/sda
    mklabel msdos
    quit
    This is better to be done with ubuntu since windows is a real idiot if you try to convert gpt disk to msdos.
    3. Boot the win7 dvd and make the installation. Give it the amount of space you want for win7, leave the rest of the disk as unallocated.
    4. Boot the ubuntu cd and install it, using the auto method or manual, as you prefer.

Enjoy your new dual boot. You are not getting anything useful with uefi anyway, only problems.
    Darko.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ubuntu 14.04 LTS 64bit & Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

There are different choices in UEFI/BIOS. With my BIOS system it is a sub-menu under hard drive, but some have it as a totally different menu entry somewhere else in BIOS to specify which hard drive device to boot. It is similar with UEFI but instead of hard drive devices it is the entries in the efi partition.

From UEFI/BIOS you should get three choices - Boot, ubuntu & Windows which are the folders in your efi partition.

/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    /EFI/ubuntu/grubx64.efi
    /EFI/Microsoft/Boot/bootmgfw.efi

And I see Boot-Repair added a correct chain load entry to Windows in 25_custom.

menuentry "Windows Boot UEFI loader" {
    search --fs-uuid --no-floppy --set=root 2E2F-337B
    chainloader (${root})/EFI/Boot/bootx64.efi
    }

Someone also posted that you can change the names used by UEFI.
    Enter your UEFI menu, select "Boot maintenance manager", then "Boot options", then "Add boot option", then "NO VOLUME LABEL,....Primary,Slave...1, GPT,..", then browse the /EFI/ubuntu/ folder via the UEFI boot menu, and select the grubx64.efi . Give it the name you want (eg "Precise"), then "Commit Changes and exit", then Enter.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast